Bosch 1617 powerful enough?

Absolutely.

jc

Reply to
Joe

I have been using mine for rail and stile doors and have had no problems.

Reply to
Roger amd Missy Behnke

Yep...but you may want to slow it down a bit when spinning big bits (if you have the VS version)... Mine does just fine.

Skip

Skip Williams

Of course, it's no help if you're looking for an excuse to get a bigger router, but like the other posts said, the Bosch 1617 will handle it fine.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

It's not a question of power, it's a question of RPMs.

Check the R&S bits form the max RPMs allowable.

My guess is well below 25,000, probably closer to 10,000 Max.

What is the min RPM setting for the 1617?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is, if you do multiple passes and if you have the variable speed version of that router. I've probably done 125 doors with just that setup, in various oaks, maple, poplar, birch, walnut, and MDF. Just last week, I built a frame and panel doll crib using a Freud cope and stick door bit.

If the router isn't variable speed, you may have a problem. Large bits need to be slowed down, they can get hairy in a hurry @ 25,000 RPM. The larger the bit, the faster the carbide out at the tips is traveling through space.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Per my owners manual, the variable speed model, 1617EVS, Dial Settings/No Load Speeds are:

1/8,000 2/13,500 3/16,500 4/20,000 5/21,500 6/25,000

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Typically those bits are about 1.25" in diameter and you will want to slow the speed a notch. Spinning a 3" raised panel bit will require 10,000 rpm and more router than the 1617 evs if you want it to last.

Reply to
Leon

You can safely run the rail and stile bits much faster and or around 17,000 but the raised panel bits will need to be slowed way down to the rpm's that you are talking about.

Reply to
Leon

Totally agree but both of my sets of rail & stile bits are under 2" in diameter. Bits 2" and under are safe up to 18,000.

Reply to
Leon

He can do it with the 1617 *if* he takes smaller "bites". Will require more passes but..........

Max

Reply to
Max

I have a 1-3/4 HP Bosch 1617 mounted in my table. I am going to be building around 15 doors for my kitchen cabinets and I was wondering if the router is powerful enough to use stile and rail bits?

Reply to
Fred