Bosch 4410 SCMS

I need to replace my current saw ( Makita 1013). I was going to just buy a new 1013 as it has proven to be a great saw, however, after a bit of research the Bosch 4410 appears to be a contender. Some of the

4410's features look like they would be useful. Fine Woodworking's Tool Guide gave both good reviews with the Bosch a bit ahead. Then I read some reviews on Amazon and a few pros stated the Bosch has cut accuracy problems. So, has anyone had experience with the 4410? Googling this group didn't mention this type of problem. Thanks, JG
Reply to
jgs77ster

Word of advice--read the reviews of other SCMS--one guy who hates the Bosch tells you that the DW708 is far superior, but read the reviews on that and you find that some reviewers think it was utter crap from the git-go. You'll see complaints about the accuracy of the Makita

1013 that are similar to those levelled against the Bosch. Fact is that everybody makes the occasional lemon and they are all likely to require tuning out of the box.

IMO if the cut you are making has to be highly precise, you need to check and possibily fine-tune the setup on _any_ saw, no matter what its design.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Did you notice one of the most negative reviews stated that the saw arrived in a very broken box? Others were upset that they had to adjust stops? What "pro" wouldn't expect to have to calibrate a precision tool that's been shipped all over creation, probably on end, upside down, probably with stuff piled on top of it? A box of the size and weight of an SCMS takes a real beating from shippers, as they drop it, slide it, roll it end over end to flip it onto the dolly...

I don't have the 4410, but a coworker does, and I've used his on a limited basis. I've also checked it out at Coastal, on the Big Blue demo truck, and cut wood there with it. My take on the 4410 agrees with the vast majority of the Amazon reviews that really like it, and it would be on my short list. The Bosch easily blows away my older Porter Cable 10" SCMS.

I try my best to get stuff like this locally, as Coastal, Tools Plus, etc.. usually get stuff by the pallet load, saving some handling damage. I can inspect the specific box before accepting it. In my experience, most shipping damage seems to be inflicted on the leg from retailer to me.

Can you get it locally?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)