Bosch cordless drills/drivers

Hello,
Some years ago, I bought a Wickes high-torque 15.6V drill. It was the one recommended here by the Medway Handyman, as it had a right angle attachment.
Sadly the nicads died and new cells would cost more than a new drill.
I have managed using cordered drills since. Sometimes it seems a hassle to get the extension lead, which is silly really because unwinding a lead is not a big job. It must be psychological.
Any way, with Christmas coming I have been asked what I would like. I will be putting up plasterboard next year, so a cordless driver would be nice. Is it a good idea to get a cordless screwdriver, or would it be better to pay a bit more and get a drill than can be used as a drill or driver, on the basis that it would be more versatile?
Do they even make cordless screwdrivers any more? I'm only aware of one green bosch model.
Screwfix seem to sell a wide range of 18v blue bosch drill/drivers. I think there are four and the only difference is the batteries:
1 x 2Ah 2 x 2Ah 1 x 3Ah 1 x 4Ah
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18v-lids-professional-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/17024
I am unsure whether two 2A batteries is better than one 4Ah one. I guess with the former you can drill with one, while you charge the other.
Are there any other differences that you can see or am I right to think it is the same body with different batteries?
Interestingly the Wickes one was advertised as high torque but it is 60Nm / 40 Nm, whereas the Bosch ones are 67/28 so this means the Bosch is as good as my old Wickes one.
I am unsure what the torque figures mean; one is hard and one is soft; what's that all about? The hardness of the substrate?
What are the groups opinions on what drill to buy? (The sds one would be nice but too expensive)
Thanks, Stephen.
On 30/11/15 18:55, Stephen wrote:

For driver sized, my blue Bosch 10.8V has done 6-7 years of solid service - with one new battery and now the brushes smell like they are a bit knackered. I might attempt a re-brushing or possibly just get a new one.
The other question is: do you want a driver with torque limiting (really useful) or an impact driver (also really cool, but the usage domains are different, with significant overlap).
On 30/11/2015 20:08, Tim Watts wrote:

DEFINITELY go for something with a spare battery and fast charger. Personally, I'd stick with smaller batteries to keep the weight down. I don't doubt that for decking or for a beefy professional builder the big batteries are useful and necessary.
I don't think you need a separate screwdriver. I have had one of these for 3 or 4 years
(Amazon.com product link shortened)48914858&sr=1-1&keywords=makita+drill
although I didn't pay that much. I've replaced a couple of batteries. I don't normally like NiCad, but it has been very good indeed. It is fine for screwing, has a "slipping clutch" to control torque (although I don't use it much) and an impact setting which is OK on softer brick or concrete although I sometimes need to get out the mains drill.
These have had excellent reviews here
(Amazon.com product link shortened)48914858&sr=1-5&keywords=makita+drill
I did actually buy one, but my son took it as a birthday present. They are much more compact than the "green" one, but reportedly have the same amount of "oomph".
On 30/11/2015 20:28, newshound wrote:

If I was going for a Bosch, I would probably pick one of these
(Amazon.com product link shortened)48915339&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+cordless+drill
which looks similar to my Makita, but a bit more up to date. I've got several Bosch "green" tools including a circular saw which has had about 30 years of very hard work. I've never seen the need to go to Blue.
On 30/11/2015 20:33, newshound wrote:

Very nice as a little toy thing for small jobs. But if you're doing any serious stuff you need something like this a Bosch GBH 2-26 DRE SDS-plus Rotary Hammer 240V.
Bill
On 01/12/2015 03:41, Bill Wright wrote:

Bit OTT for plasterboard, though, which is OP's next job.
On 01/12/2015 14:42, newshound wrote:

Yes but you should buy tools suitable for the job after that and the one after that.
Bill
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:50:05 +0000, Bill Wright

I've already got the 226DRE! Lovely drill, but I just wondered whether I would like the convenience of a cordless and SWMBO was offering to buy me one for Christmas! I just don't know whether it is really necessary when I already have a corded drill.
On 04/12/2015 17:35, Stephen wrote:

Not for lifting the damned thing up above head-height repeatedly!
Bill

I've never had an impact driver. Am I missing out? When would I use that rather than a drill driver?
On 04/12/2015 20:35, Stephen wrote:

Yes ;-)

Pretty much any time you want to drive a screw...
IDs will stick it big screws with far less operator effort - the percussive turning moment means they don't cam out of the screw head nearly as easily, so you need far less force applied to the driver to keep it seated. You also get less torque reaction at the wrist. So getting screws in at arms reach and from awkward angles etc gets easier.
More info here:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Impact_driver
--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/12/2015 23:07, John Rumm wrote:

I'm not *convinced* that I need one, I don't do many "big" screws and even so my standard Makita seems to cope if I drill a pilot hole. I'm certainly not in the market for a serious one, but has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttp452ipd-10-8v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-impact-driver/44792?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area2&_requestid 9887#_=p
On 14/12/2015 14:45, newshound wrote:

The short answer is you probably don't "need" one - a drill driver will certainly stick screws in. The ID will do it fast and easy, and leave the drill free for doing other stuff without bit swapping.
What batteries does your Makita use? You may be able to pick up a "body only" ID for less than a cheap one from SF?
--
Cheers,

John.

Yup, I have a 10.8v Bosch impact driver and wouldn't be with out it now. I use it all the time. Not just for big screws, but for most of my screwdriving probably
--
Chris French

On 14/12/2015 18:12, John Rumm wrote:

Had thought about that. Unfortunately it is the NiCd one; and as long as third party spares are readily available, and the drill is working well and totally reliable, I'm reluctant to change systems. As I think I said earlier, I did actually buy a pair of the new 10 volt Makita tools to try, but one of my offspring filched it.
On 14/12/2015 21:16, newshound wrote:

You can get IDs that use the NiCd and NiMh batteries in 12, 14.4 and 18V:
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-6980fdz-12v-impact-driver-body-onl-p36485
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-6935fdz-144v-impact-driver-body-on-p36480
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-6936fdz-18v-impact-driver-body-onl-p36474
(although they have gone up in price compared to the LiIon ones now)
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tuesday, 15 December 2015 02:43:14 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

ns

ne

-impact-driver/44792?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area2&_requestid9887 #_=p

:
485

480

474

Those are pricey! I can get the 6935fdz for 70 EURO (~£50) delivered and including VAT in Germany.
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 04:34:18 -0800, Martin Bonner wrote:

p36480

https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/makita-6935fdz-6935dz-14-4v-cordless-impact- driver-bare-bones-body-only-207371/
On 15/12/2015 12:44, Adrian wrote:

That just about meets my impulse buy price, so have ordered one. Thanks guys for all the really helpful advice. Guess I am stuck now with 14.4 volt Makita for a while!
On Tuesday, 15 December 2015 16:22:32 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

-
t-

Yes. Now I just need some sort of excuse to buy one ...