Bosch cordless drills/drivers

Yes but you should buy tools suitable for the job after that and the one after that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

As you would expect...

I don't think anyone was suggesting a cordless is going to out perform a mains SDS.

I was making a comparison to a traditional "hammer" or percussion drill.

I don't have a battery SDS. I have a Makita HR2450 750W 3 function SDS which I like very much. I can see there may be odd times the cordless SDS is worth having, but generally I can cope with the mains one.

However I also have a Makita 8443D 18V Combi drill, which is my "go to" tool for pretty much any other drilling job. Its slightly lighter and more compact than either of my conventional mains hammer drills, has a far superior speed controller plus variable torque clutch, hammer action etc. Armed with a Bosch multi material bit in it you can drill pretty much anything. Its got the torque to mix plaster etc a great all round tool. Since I have had that, its very rare I find a use for a mains percussion drill.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've already got the 226DRE! Lovely drill, but I just wondered whether I would like the convenience of a cordless and SWMBO was offering to buy me one for Christmas! I just don't know whether it is really necessary when I already have a corded drill.

Reply to
Stephen

FWIW, I've always found Bosch to be very good at sorting out green tools under warranty. IME they swap it for a new one but YMMV and all the usual disclaimers!

Reply to
Stephen

I had forgotten about that: my wickes cordless has a rotating collar to set the torque. I haven't seen a mains one with that. Do they exist? Why aren't they more common?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

My guess is they're more about protecting the cordless drill/battery than being of any real use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've never had an impact driver. Am I missing out? When would I use that rather than a drill driver?

Reply to
Stephen

Not for lifting the damned thing up above head-height repeatedly!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes ;-)

Pretty much any time you want to drive a screw...

IDs will stick it big screws with far less operator effort - the percussive turning moment means they don't cam out of the screw head nearly as easily, so you need far less force applied to the driver to keep it seated. You also get less torque reaction at the wrist. So getting screws in at arms reach and from awkward angles etc gets easier.

More info here:

John Rumm

As a general rule people don't seem to use mains drills for screw driving nearly as much (the exceptions being the dedicated dry wall screw guns and autofeed guns). Perhaps its because the torque delivery from an AC motor is not as smooth, and they don't develop lots of torque in the low speed ranges like a DC device can.

Reply to
John Rumm

The problem is slowing them down sufficiently. You'd really need one with a special grearbox. So saying, I do have an ancient B&D pro range one which has a special slow speed setting and reverse for screwdriving. But in this case a cordless is a better unit for screwdriving due to being shorter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Big screws :)

But they lack the finess of a torque regulated power driver - so it's horses for courses.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, it's useful.

Leave my green Bosch on "screw" (full torque) and slap a screw into any thin or soft wood, and unless you're paying attention it'll just go straight through.

Reply to
Adrian

Impact driver's invaluable for undoing tight bolts in metal.

Reply to
Adrian

Site work requires 110v tools which we don't have so I bought a cheap as chips cordless sds from B & Q and it fitted the bill admirable. (Hanging cupboards on mostly block walls )

That is the safety aspect of cordless over mains.

Then there is the question of weight and size. Mains sds really require two hands and get heavy very quickly but when you need the oomph they're unbeatable

Just got an 18v 4w Bosch cordless drill and it has ample power and endurance.. Drilled 40 x 80mm diameter holes in 25mm chipboard with a holesaw and it laughed at it. (For cable access ports)

Also have the 10.8v drill driver. Excellent for small spaces and refreshingky light.

Horses for courses.

Reply to
fred

Also for damaged screws. Had some Pozis in a door frame, no chance with a screwdriver but the impact driver took about 1s/screw. Tried it on some 6mm stainless screws - ended up with a screwless head and gave up.

Reply to
PeterC

4 watts? You sure? That doesn't seem an awful lot. I'm pretty sure I could put 40w out through a hand drill. (Froome manages 400 on his bike)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And it's just arrived back.

Same drill, case. Same charger, but obviously tested (it's sprouted a PAT sticker). New battery.

I phoned on Thu 3rd. Collected by courier Fri 4th. Phoned by Bosch to confirm arrival Mon 7th. Delivered back here Mon 14th.

Very happy with that, for a cheap (£50 from Argos on eBay) consumer-range tool.

It's just another reason for me to buy Bosch whenever possible.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm not *convinced* that I need one, I don't do many "big" screws and even so my standard Makita seems to cope if I drill a pilot hole. I'm certainly not in the market for a serious one, but has anyone tried one of these?

newshound

The short answer is you probably don't "need" one - a drill driver will certainly stick screws in. The ID will do it fast and easy, and leave the drill free for doing other stuff without bit swapping.

What batteries does your Makita use? You may be able to pick up a "body only" ID for less than a cheap one from SF?

Reply to
John Rumm