Bosch 10.8v I-driver

I have seen the kind of community support ShopBot owners lend to each other. Quite fascinating. I would want original software on a stand-alone computer. I'm not even the slightest bit interested in hacking and code-crunching. I'd love to be able to spend the time at some point, but it really has to fulfil its 'work' duty first/as soon as possible. I have to find a way to transfer the templates, which come with different sinks, into an accurate toolpath. I'm making a hole to fit an exsisting sink. for undermounting. Tolerances are =B1 1 mm, maybe even a bit sloppier. The curves are complex ie:

(click on 'double sinks'). By complex, I mean, no mathematical roots that I am aware of other than the obviously round ones and maybe some corner radii on some rectangular stuff.. A fellow nearby ( 100km), will digitize the odd one for me, and I'll be able to go from DXF to BotTalk. I also have access to a massive scanner, assuming I have a paper template. I can do an auto-trace and go to DXF from there..in house. The other choice would be to do some kind of stylus thing....investigating now, and I could use a nudge if you have one.

[snipped and saved useful info]

I'd be happy with .05. Seriously...in the role as a money maker in my trade.

..got the festy- and feiny-pants stuff already and a 2HP cannister blower which, with my probe draws 7 amps at 220 volt and it is turning a lot of energy into 'suck' I am satisfied that it will do its job with the 'Bot.

I had wanted to be a bit further along with my planning, but two 86- year old parents are keeping me quite busy.

Thank you for the input, Rick, I always appreciate it.

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

I think that community support is best explained by the fact the ShopBot owners/users are NOT in competition with each other ... on any level. They are all interested in producing their work with a minimum of fuss, and are for the most part not trapped by an overly aggressive ego.

I highly recommend a stand-alone PC with a network connection. I'm using a

300 MHz Pentium running Windows 98 with just network support loaded. No fancy graphics card, a stock VGA CRT is all that's needed. As a result, it boots fast, allows me to run the DOS version of the ShopBot control software with only a minor pause (caused when the DOS app is interrupted for network access).

Code crunching comes in when you're trying to speed production. Morris writes much tighter, faster code than PartWizard ... and that suits his needs. The guy I used to consult for did some path optimization, but he was using the same kerf twice and didn't want parts getting snatched up by the router bit and destroyed (DAMHIKT). I use PartWizard and accept that it will spend a few extra minutes running home after each toolpath is cut (I make multiple tool paths for the various different cuts I make, and I don't edit out the Jog Home and Jog to the first cut position).

I did that for a friend ... he had a custom copper sink made for his kitchen and needed an under-support for the copper (the legs attached to the plywood under-support) rather than have it sag under the granite countertop. Took us about 5 minutes to lay out ... 4 minutes to cut, and it worked just fine. His was a simple rectangle, and I took the widest measurement and added 1/4" to allow for the bend radii.

ShopBot has a 3-D Digitizing Probe available (

) that will quickly allow you to generate your toolpath. Might be an issue with deep sinks (Z Axis clearance issue). Or ... you could take a digital photo with the sink bottom up, perform an edge-find trace (Corel Trace is great for this), then perform an offset of the shape that conforms to your support requirements (much easier to perform than to describe).

It may well ... I haven't any solid surface experience. If these vacs work with your present cutting practice, you should be ok. Remember though that the ShopBot doesn't take a break during a cut (unless you tell it to do so), so the dust generation is full force. Your broom and dustpan will tell whether you need an upgrade!

My hat is off to you on your priorities.

You're welcome.

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick M

We have the pistol style and love it. It is the fist gun pulled out for driving screws. My helper balked at the $129.00 price but I noticed its always in his hands. I'll have to buy another one for myself :-)

cm

CM