O'Malley Router

I dropped into Toolseeker.com and saw the O'Malley 3 HP plunge router for $79 plus $5 shipping. Has anyone had any experience with this router? This sounds too good. As my grandad said if it sounds to good it probably is.

Reply to
Vaughn Davis

Do yourself a favour, and keep away from it. Princess Auto in Canada has the same router on sale under their house brand. Looks impressive, but it is not a precision machine by any stretch of the imagination. I bought one and returned it the next day.

Reply to
ks

Sounds way too cheap for a 1/4" 1 hp name brand model.

Reply to
Leon

Do they sell O'Leary lanterns?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Reply to
Vaughn Davis

Ooh, stay away from those. A cow could kick one over and start a heck of a fire!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Oh... you safety freaks are all the same. Always seeing a boogyman under the bed...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I emailed a bunch of eBay buyers of the jig saw, maybe 10 people, only 3 replied saying they were very happy with it whatever O'malley tools they bought. One is a framer and gave me big reply of explanation, as follows:

Hi! Since you contacted me about this jigsaw, you probably noticed that I also purchased the biscuit joiner and the circular saw. I didn't NEED any of these tools, but what I saw and read strongly indicated that I finally found some QUALITY power tools. When I received these tools I was so impressed with the quality that I contacted O'Malley Tools via email and told them that they should add a plunge router to their list of tools. They were quick to respond that they already had one in production and invited me to purchase it. I did, and it had all of the features that I had been drooling over in a MUCH more expensive router. To be quite honest, I haven't had the time or opportunity to thoroughly test any of them. My objective was to replace the Sears Craftsman tools that I've been using for the past 20 years. I wanted good tools so I waited like a vulture for half-price sales and bought the very best that Sears had to offer at the time. My point is this: O'Malley tools outshine all of those Craftsman tools. The features built into these tools seem to be only available with more expensive power tools. The jigsaw? First of all, it comes with an instruction manual that is professionally written. They expended considerable effort to illustrate it accurately and explain design features, maintenance, and safety. This jigsaw puts my expensive Craftsman scroll saw (looks basically the same as a jigsaw) to shame. The base is CAST rather than STAMPED steel. On the underside of the base is a steel plate that's bolted to the casting with four countersunk allen screws. The plate appears to be coated with teflon or maybe just a heavy coat of black paint. Anyway, it glides quite easily over a board. If you're concerned about cutting delicate materials they've included a PLASTIC plate that you can bolt on in place of the steel plate. It's tucked into a special recess in the blow-molded case. There is a clear plastic guard that attaches to the front of the tool. Nice thinking! But get this: Behind the blade is a guide wheel that supports the back edge of the blade as it cuts. Amazing! My Craftsman scroll saw has no such innovation and it's forever breaking blades. A variable speed dial is built into the side of the handle. An additional button on the top of the handle locks whatever speed you've chosen. A squeeze on the power trigger releases the button and stops the motor. Very clever! The saw also has a lever that provides four orbital settings. Now you not only can control the speed of UP & DOWN motion, but a BACK & FORTH motion for a clean cut or a more aggressive cut. Included is a dust collection tube-vacuum adapter so that you don't have to be annoyed by sawdust that normally blots out the cutting line that you've so meticulously drawn on your project material. You can even adjust the base so that you can flush cut up to a vertical surface. The saw comes with a generous assortment of blades (I think I counted nine altogether). There's even an extra set of motor brushes, but ... they encourage the owner to have them installed professionally so the warranty isn't voided. They even include a couple extra blade setscrews in case the originally installed ones drop out and go to NeverLand. Saw operation appears to be comparatively quiet and smooth. The only negative thing that I can see at this point is the blow-mold case that it's shipped in. But ... it does a pretty decent job of protecting the tool and keeping things organized. If you decide to buy this saw, I doubt that you'll be disappointed. It's an awesome tool for the money. I hope this helps. Let me know if you receive this message okay. Have a great day!! Terry

Dear (My ebay name),

I think I got it for $35.00 shipped. I nneded a good jig saw, it has come thru with flying colors. I also got the drill, again very happy! I am a contractor & finally charged it after

2 weeks work, that is good! People can't beleve I payed only $20.00 for it. Yes the jig saw is a great deal for $35.00 I payed, it compares, at my opion at $65.00 or so. Good Deal, I am happy with o-maley, jig saw & drill too. Good Luck, Rob

Dear (My ebay name),

I'll try to be as helpful as possible, while not an expert on tools. If weight means well built this saw is well built and seems solid. Couple of times just for testing I used orbital 3 for cutting 2x6's and it ate them up pretty fast. I checked and know that the highest price sears model saw is the only sears model with the same features as this saw. It's probably got features I will never use and it may burn up tomorrow but like I said it seems very solid and cuts very well, especially if you use one of the orbital settings. I know Makitas, Bosch, etc. are much higher. Unless there is something I don't see, rpm's same features same, for price it seems like a good deal to me. Haven't tried other o'malley products, but I don't think you could go wrong for the money. Hope this helps, Steve Write and let me know how it goes --Lindy

Reply to
AAvK

Interesting replies. The first two sounded more like a Marketing Department and made me suspicious - especially the first one, but the last one sounded more like a real person.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

What... like they've got some fake buyers leaving feedbacks? I think from what their tools cost on eBay it is worth the risk of trying one out. It seems to me these guys are trying to start a real tool company, not scamming.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

As harsh as it sounds, yes, that's what the first two sounded like to me. Not to suggest the tools are junk, I wasn't making that comment.

Reply to
Mike Marlow