Electrolysis of cast iron?

I've got an idea for mounting a folding extension table off the back of my table saw which starts with bolting an aluminum angle to the cast iron top. Do I need to worry about electrolysis between the aluminum and the cast iron?

Reply to
Roy Smith

I don't think so. First, for galvanic corrosion to take place, there has to be the prescence of an electrolyte, usually water. Second, there's not a large potential difference between cast iron and aluminum alloys. Even if it did happen somehow, since aluminum is less noble than cast iron, the aluminum (aluminium for our friends across the pond) angle would be the anode and would sacrafice itself, so the table saw top would be protected.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

For ordinary thicknesses, ok for years. Environment matters, eg. if near ocean, might be bad if the parts are thin. In dry area, no problem.

Reply to
bw

Roy...

I've been using the same aluminum [aluminium] insert in my cast iron table top since 1975 and haven't detected any ill effects. It's probably something not much worth worrying about.

I recently added an outfeed table to my saw - also starting by attaching an aluminum angle - that you can look over at . It seems to be surviving fairly well (and will probably outlast me!)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Aluminium extrusion is often anodised, which is some of the best electrolytic protection you could get.

As to the rest, then if it's going to get wet, then you should worry (there are primers to deal with this). For a saw part in a normal workshop though, it's no problem.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No. But if still worried, use a plastic shim.

Reply to
Guess who

the big offender is aluminum to copper.

if you're worried about it, slip a sheet of paper between.

Reply to
bridger