Moving a cast iron bath

OK chaps...
I hve a cast iron bath to move from an outhouse, to a first floor bathroom. Having carried it once from trailer to outhouse, with a neighbour's help, I'm aware of how unbelieveably heavy it is.
It needs to go up a flight of stairs with 3 winders at the bottom. The stairs are newly fitted, and have newel bottoms but no balustrade. They are stained and varnished and need not to be dinged or chipped.
There is nothing available upstairs to attach a block and tackle to ;-)
Other than brute force, can anyone suggest techniques for getting it up there without damage to stairs, bath or workforce?
Cheers Richard

SWMBOs grandfather used to carry them on his back, turtle fashion.
MBQ

Is he available? I'm in the East Riding.
Cheers Richard

Surely you want no damage to stairs, bath AND workforce? Or is one of those elements optional?!?
I had the opposite problem - wanted to get rid of a bath. In the end, left in place as it would have been more trouble than it was worth to try to get it down our stairs.
Matt

I think you have that the wrong way round. I want no damage to the stairs, nor do I want damage to the bath, nor do I want damage to the workforce. Your phrasing could imply that I don't want damage to all three, but to two is acceptable.
Cheers Richard

Rented serfs on minimum wage make a cost-effective wedge for shoring up a bathtub if it has to be parked anywhere overnight. They're available cheaply from your local Job Centre. Use enough and you might even get a grant!

I had to get one such from out the back of the house, through a narrowish door into an equally narrow passageway and then along into the bathroom.
I dreamed up all sorts of scenarios and put several options into place, but in the end found that 4 of us managed it without any bother (and per person it was lighter than expected). Included was standing it on its end to get through the back door, walking it forward and then lowering it down in the narrow hallway.and then a carry.
OK we didn't have stairs I will admit. The winders will be the problem but at least they are at the bottom. Having just got an outsize wardrobe into a small house (one of the team classified it as a 'behemoth' - old Egyptian for a hippopotamus apparantly), by sliding it up ladders and through an upstairs window, I would suggest something similar up your stairs - ie create a flat surface on the stairs and slide it up on the top edges, everything suitably protected. Push from the bottom and ropes from the top.
There is no easy way !! Make sure the upstairs team is up before you block the stairway - they will have sleeping quarters and toilet facilities but no food if the bath remains blocking the stairs !!
Rob

Congratulations - with all due respect to all the helpful people who responded, you win the prize for most useful suggestions. I was envisaging a pulling-with-ropes and pushing-from below scenario of some kind, with protection applied to the stairs (or possiboly skids attached to the bath ;-) ). The issues I foresaw were over the width of the bath against the stairs, and creating a smooth surface while leaving something for the bottom crew (so to speak) to put their feet on.
In the end, brute force might have to be the prevailing factor.
A neighbour suggested punching holes in the ceiling and hoisting it up on a joist, but as my ceiling joists are 3x2, this seemed imprudent.
Cheers Richard
In message

Isn't this the point in the thread where someone posts a link to "Right said Fred" ?
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

No - unless it's the repeat!
geraldthehamster wrote:

You need narrow sheets of something stiff and strong enough the protect the stairs, but also slippery. Plywood? Is there a version that comes coated with something slippery, like a plastic? Old formica benchtop would be excellent. More slipperiness makes the rope at the top essential.
teamhillside wrote: ...

One quarter of a cast iron bath is not difficult to take out of the house and the scrapyard does not care whether you have taken an angle grinder to it.
Colin Bignell
teamhillside wrote:

Getting them out is easy. Cover ears, hit bath with sledgehammer, carry out a bit at a time. Time it for 1pm and people will just think the local church clock is stiking :)
SteveW
--- ---
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Walker

And for feck's sake wear goggles. The enamel splinters can pierce your eyes.

Split foam pipe lagging taped over the edges (both bottom and side of them) and the feet, whether detachable or not. Corrugated cardboard boxing in the sides over this. Bubble wrap inside (taped firmly down) as cushioning when carrying. Take time and effort when wrapping it, it's easier than fixing chips afterwards.
Check the route for obstructions, removing light fittings where needed and cardboard-wrapping stair newel posts etc. In particular, protect the top of banisters where it's likely to be lifted over them and slid.
Then carry it turtle fashion, on the back of the strongest available grandfather. Assistant each end for steering.
Roll-top cast iron baths are actually quite easy to manoeuvre, as they omit the corners that are usually such a problem.

The
Lateral thinking is required here: Coffer dam round the house. Plug firmly in bath. Flood coffer dam to first floor level and float bath in through window. Drain coffer dam and remove. Simples <G>
AWEM
On Jul 19, 1:24pm, "Andrew Mawson"

And a person in it, with a paddle. What flag should be flown?
Cheers Richard
geraldthehamster wrote:

D - "Keep clear of me; I am manoeuvering with difficulty.", I imagine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags
(A friend of mine once described getting a cast iron bath downstairs with great difficulty, only to find that the scrap merchant who was collecting it immediately broke it up with a sledge hammer before putting the now much easier to handle chunks in his truck....)
Alan Braggins wrote:

I removed a cast iron bath from my father in laws years ago. I heard all about this 'bash it with a hammer' trick, so I tried it. My ears were still ringing a week later and the bath was unscathed!
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Likewise - One clout with a club hammer and I was then hunting for my ear defenders!