Moving a cast iron bath

Richard There's simple solution to this; post up your address and all the wise arses here will come along, drink your tea and offer advice on the spot. AND if you are lucky help you get there.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Remove part of roof; mobile crane?

Seriously, the best of luck. Going in the other direction, angle grinder / sledge hammer is sometimes the best option.

Reply to
newshound

D - "Keep clear of me; I am manoeuvering with difficulty.", I imagine.

friend of mine once described getting a cast iron bath downstairs with great difficulty, only to find that the scrap merchant who was collecting it immediately broke it up with a sledge hammer before putting the now much easier to handle chunks in his truck....)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

I removed a cast iron bath from my father in laws years ago. I heard all about this 'bash it with a hammer' trick, so I tried it. My ears were still ringing a week later and the bath was unscathed!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Likewise - One clout with a club hammer and I was then hunting for my ear defenders!

Reply to
Peter Watson

Ditto. And a bigger hammer.

Reply to
Huge

I think the OP is intending to install the bath, not remove it.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

He could break it into pieces, carry it upstairs, then weld it back together?

Or find half a dozen brawny friends to help?

Reply to
Huge

Correct. I install the things that other people remove. My house is a shrine to eBay, and every fixture tells a tale.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Isn't this the point in the thread where someone posts a link to "Right said Fred" ?

Reply to
geoff

I keep meaning to install things, but at the moments I just have cupboardsfull :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No - unless it's the repeat!

Reply to
Clot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

A sledgehammer works, but watch the splinters.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Give some thought to constructing a wheeled "carriage" with some idea to managing on the staircase. Once upon a time BT (or rather the PO before them) devised a lifting equipment to carry large heavy equipment like PABXs (probably very similar in shape/weight to a CI bath!) upstairs.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You need narrow sheets of something stiff and strong enough the protect the stairs, but also slippery. Plywood? Is there a version that comes coated with something slippery, like a plastic? Old formica benchtop would be excellent. More slipperiness makes the rope at the top essential.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

teamhillside wrote: ...

One quarter of a cast iron bath is not difficult to take out of the house and the scrapyard does not care whether you have taken an angle grinder to it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

,

imagine.

downstairs

heard all

Chip away a bit of the porcelain with a cold chisel then drill a hole in the cast iron. Then wack with hammer. The hole acts to concentrate the stress of the blow (a 'stress riser') and it will break far more easily.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Nowwww heeee tellsssss meeeee :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Club hammer worked fime for me.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geraldthehamster saying something like:

Scaffold tower, block and tackle, slide in the window, sorted.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon