Band saw roller guide bearings

Been having trouble with the roller guides on my band saw from the git go. First time I ran it one of the shields popped off. Put it back on and it was OK for a while, then another popped off. Put it back and it was OK for a while. This went on for several years. Yesterday one of the shields popped off and the cage came out. Time for a new guide. Pulled the bearing off and looked at it and it was marked "608ZZ". Figured I'd have to call around to the bearing places today, but just for hohos I googled the thing and found a remarkable lot of hits on skateboard sites. So I went down to the local skateboard shop (Skate Lair in Enfield, CT--doesn't look like much but they're well stocked) and showed the guy the bearing. He reached into his junk pile, found one that spun and was going to _give_ it to me until he found out that I needed more than one. I ended up getting a set of 8 sealed ABEC-5s for

25 bucks which let me replace the whole lot with a couple of spares.

Turned out that a couple of the bearings on the lower guide weren't turning at all, and at least one more had something wrong with it--periodically when one or the other was contacted I'd hear a whining noise--that's gone.

Thought I'd post this just in case it might be useful to somebody.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Is this a veiled desire to take up skateboarding?

A midlife criss perhaps?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Don't be sawing any half-pipes. It may fly up and down on ya.

25 bucks which let me replace the whole lot with a couple of spares.

Turned out that a couple of the bearings on the lower guide weren't turning at all, and at least one more had something wrong with it--periodically when one or the other was contacted I'd hear a whining noise--that's gone.

Thought I'd post this just in case it might be useful to somebody.

Reply to
Josepi

=A0I ended up getting a set of 8 sealed ABEC-5s for

J Clark

Next time do

for bearings. Great service.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Saw them. But they aren't two blocks down the street and open at 6 PM.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J Clark

Next time do

for bearings. Great service.

Bob AZ

Better yet, switch to ceramic guides and get rid of a bunch of potential problems.

Reply to
Leon

Care to buy me a milling machine so I can make the mounts for them? I didn't think so.

Reply to
J. Clarke

They are for sale for various saws.

Likely takes a surface gr> >> I ended up getting a set of 8 sealed ABEC-5s for

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Where are they for sale for anything other than Laguna, Delta, or the generic Chinese Delta clone?

Why would one need a surface grinder to cut some aluminum to hold blocks of ceramic?

Reply to
J. Clarke

hyperlink - but they sell Delta 14 and jet 14 ceramic guide blocks.

Surface grinder to grind the ceramic. The holders are already there on the machines. Otherwise cut, drill and file or mill and file - whatever blocks.

Other sites sell blocks for these machines and others - tool companies and wood working companies.

Mart> >> They are for sale for various saws.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If you have a Jet or Delta you change to a superior set of ceramic guides complete with holders, and then your guide problem goes away pretty much for ever.

Leon

And another one who won't read a post through before responding. I do not have a Jet or Delta or Grizzly or any other saw on that pattern.

Reply to
J. Clarke