Southern Yellow Pine - Tanning

Hey:

I've been working on a construction project recently that features a lot of exposed framing and using southern yellow pine. Now, for the structural framing elements I've been using regular kiln dried stock and the exterior planking and battens are made from pressure-treated material. One of the concerns that I had was keeping non-pressure treated material from being a stark contrast in color from the pressure-treated stuff...

Because I'm working the project on nights and weekends, some of my framing had the opportunity to bake in the 100 degree weather and bright sunlight that we've seen over the past couple of weeks. Wonder of wonders, the yellow pine has gone from a stark white to a gold color that borders on oiled oak. Anyone tried this before on furniture grade yellow pine?

Walt

Walt Akers

Next the splitting and warping will start and pine does it well.

Sometimes I think it is still alive.

Get it protected from UV.

I've been working on a construction project recently that features a lot of exposed framing and using southern yellow pine. Now, for the structural framing elements I've been using regular kiln dried stock and the exterior planking and battens are made from pressure-treated material. One of the concerns that I had was keeping non-pressure treated material from being a stark contrast in color from the pressure-treated stuff...

Because I'm working the project on nights and weekends, some of my framing had the opportunity to bake in the 100 degree weather and bright sunlight that we've seen over the past couple of weeks. Wonder of wonders, the yellow pine has gone from a stark white to a gold color that borders on oiled oak. Anyone tried this before on furniture grade yellow pine?

Walt

Josepi

Hey Walt,

What you experienced is particularly noticeable with the micronized copper treated "YellaWood" SYP from Great Southern Wood.

May be worth you seeking it out. Home Depot carries it here in Texas.

FWIW ...

Reply to
Swingman

Just about any light wood will develop that color with time and light exposure.

Reply to
dadiOH