Looking for Oregan or yellow pine

I'm looking for a quantity (about 30 sqyd) of Oregon or yellow pine planking to repair fire-damage in an old (1860) house. This is material that would have been used widely for wainscotting at that time.

I wonder if anyone could advise me where might be a sensible place to look on-line for this kind of material?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

'Oregon pine' is another name for 'Douglas fir' which is also called Columbian or British Columbian pine, which would not likely be used for panelling. 'Yellow pine' is a common name for Pinus Strobus - also known as Quebec yellow pine amongst many other names - depending on source. This was be used for panelling and other quality internal work due to it's low shrinkage - was used for drawing boards etc. But I wouldn't assume that your panelling is yellow pine unless you have a definite identification. All sorts of stuff was used, as available. But for the purposes of replacing existing panelling - which would be painted or varnished anyway, I'd go for 'unsorted swedish redwood' which is generally available and can be good quality, but you would want to dry it well beforehand i.e. keep it stacked 'in sticks' i.e. with laths between planks for ventilation, in a dry and warm place for

6 months or so. Or you could risk not drying it but the panels would shrink in the frames and you would have to touch up the paintwork later. Or you can get Yellow pine from many of the bigger timber merchants. There is also 'Western yellow pine' - the sapwood (wide in old trees) resembles Quebec yellow pine and is used for the same purposes as it is stable and dries well. They were (still are?) both used for pattern making as they are easily worked and stable.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob