Any Carving Tips On Staunton Style Knights?

I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this road before.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Tom Watson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Start with a block of wood and carve away everything that doesn't look like a Staunton Knight.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

unlike the more ornate complex ones. Are you doing the whole set, Tom?

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah. I'm doing this one:

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Usually one turns the head as an eggshape, then cuts (observing grain direction) the eggshape to an oval slab. A file or rasp makes two notches that suggest the horse-head shape.

I did it with steel rods, using a drillpress as a lathe, and a bench grinder for the flattening operation. It's up to you whether to add embellishments, I stopped right there (my Dremel points weren't up to the challenge of carving a proper mane).

Reply to
whit3rd