Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay.

Actually, you guys are bitching.

However, in Canadian drugs are protected against generics for a longer period of time. Hence lower price but for a longer time. When the US generics kick in earlier, you won't want to buy Canadian drugs as they will still be sold at higher, brand-name pricing. We get cheaper drugs in the short term but pay in the long term.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Then compare both to the Euro and you'll see that his argument is essentially correct. It isn't that Canadians are getting screwed - it's that the Yanks are getting a lucky break. In other areas, of course, the falling US dollar will hurt the US. Don't expect VI Robert to understand anything like that.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Oh I understand! Lee Valley is VERY desireable to have around, much better that they DO exist than not, I've made one small order thus far, and I would love to have the LA BP! I also think their prices are pretty fair as well, except I think the hand planes are just a shot too high, I feel they should be at least

15% to 20 % less. And they could decide to distribute them like their one major competitor does. If I opened my own tool store I would stock Veritas tools, depending upon their purchase requirements.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Isn't it the US dollar that is losing value not the CDN dollar rising?

Maybe I should drink less beer. I have no idea what you're saying and all the equals signs and dashes are really confusing me. I'm out of my league here. I don't know what I was thinking getting involved in this thread with all these currency issues and world markets, blah, blah, blah. I was just excited that Canada was involved. I'm not giving up though. When I see the Prime Minister at Tim Horton's tomorrow, I'm gonna tell him to check this newsgroup out and figure out this scam Lee Valley is running. Maybe he can get CSI:Canada to put Robin Lee away for good. OK, I'm done. This has me all fired up. I think I'll go and read one of Tom Watson's stories now. Maybe the bedtime classic "El Guano". Maybe I should drink more beer ... yeah that's it!

Reply to
BeerBoy

Except the ones who want to keep jobs from being outsourced, of course.

Reply to
George

Except in exports.

I know you understand that, you must have forgotten.

In other areas, of course, the falling US dollar

Reply to
George

What do you base this on?

Some of the other plane makers bought the tooling and amortized it 50 years ago. Lee Valley is a relative newcomer and has a lot of tooling and engineering costs to recoup. Planes don't sell in the volumes of screwdrivers at Home Depot or Canadian Tire. LV is very competitive with L-N from what I can see. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Let me see. You and your fellow Lee Valley groups posts dozens of flames and I kick you pathetic asses so now you want to get 'reasonable'. LOL! You set the tone s*****ad. Too late to start whining about it now.

Post proof that on any given day in the last year that Americans didn't pay less than Canadians for Lee Valley tools and then we will talk. But seeing as Canadians get gouged regardless of the exchange rate you can't do that.:)

Reply to
Robert

Why are you here? What do you contribute? What kind of mentality like yours stays where they're not wanted?

Reply to
Upscale

Perhaps I should ask you that. I've been a member of this group much longer than you, or SFB Rob Lee.

HAND now.:)

Reply to
Robert

Because I'm an active woodworker. You? All you've ever done is whine and complain. I've offered tips for products, given suggestions for techniques and presented URL's to products.

Your turn. Why are you here? What do you contribute to this news group?

Reply to
Upscale

Ed Pawlowski asks:

His ability to run someone else's business affairs from afar and without facts.

Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie Self did say:

I think the boy may just have a future in politics!

Reply to
WoodMangler

Actual cost? The amount of money that leaves the hand for a handplane...?

I don't think LV is supremely competetive from what I can see of price and product, and availability. They just do what they do, and have what they have. Both brands are very different designs.

The 112's for example, the LN is $81 more than the Veritas, both made of ductile iron. The Veritas is a great deal considering the quality and color of the Kunz 112 @ $89 (they need tuning from what I have read, and look goofy as hell). The St. James Bay 112 is $250 finished. So, Veritas is there with the right price and top quality on that.

But I'm not going to pay > $175 < for a LV #4, because I have paid $32 for a Stanley #4 type 19 in mint-minus condition, cost worth the tuning. $7.99 for another exact same plane as quite well used, still perfectly good after tuning it. I want to see Veritas #4 planes in borg and tool stores for a nominal $79 off the shelf, as an extreme contrast to my previous statement about online, LV-only prices.

My real point is common availability, regular prices that are easy to consider, and a wide distributership to stores and borgs @ that fine Veritas level of quality and prescision. Currently, of all things, OSH now stocks Footprint tools! Planes, chisels, and other tools. Footprint got an awesome break, that's because they made the right business descision. They are attempting to amortize at a much smaller size than LV- Veritas. The #5 costs $49.95, reasonable for the tuning work.

If the Lee Valley corp. decides to go bigger with plane production, make some socket chisels (wink) and "amortize" the entire function, they and all woodworkers would be better off. Lie-Nielson is coming close because of their actual* distributorship, but keeping costs pretty much the same, get rich time! Lee Valley is on the perfect verge / edge of being able to replace Stanley as amortized production for distribution. They can do it. So sorry to sound like such a block-head, I got me a cranium full of ADHD to fight through here... no offence intended.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

You REALLY need to try some gooooooood hot mazto-ball soup! Chucks of chicken and vegetable, mmmmMMMMmmmm!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Flame away, children...

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

AAvK did say:

I'd hardly consider that a flame. And whatever it was, it wasn't directed at you.

Reply to
WoodMangler

Methinks he's here like the unofficial spokesman from Wendy's - to do his part to generate publicity for, and promote, LV. Looks like he's doing a good job.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Oh no? Then may I ask, what "boy" were you talking about?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Not very good. You have no idea of the cost of production do you? Cost of tooling? Engineering? The do have a bearing of final cost, as the the ability to charge what people are willing to pay.

But the cost of the new planes has nothing at all to do with or in relationship to a Stanley #4. If you bought one for $32, good for you, enjoy it. What you are saying is that you bought a good used plane and therefore all planes must sell for a price close to it. I paid $2000 for my '62 Corvair and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $20,000 for a new car.

You CAN buy a brand new Stanley 9 3/4 for $35.

It may be possible if the volume warrants it. When you go for larger volume, you must also spend a lot of money for additional tooling, inventory, and in the case of HD and Loses, you may even have to invest in thousands of dollars in coumputer software for billing and payment. They dont just send invoices and checks like most other place.s This holds true for many of the big stores and manufactureres. We used to deal with Frigidaire. We would have had to spend over $10,000 for software. Do you think the borg shoppers will pay for and appreciate a LV plane? "The Buck Brothers for much less looks the same honey, get the blue one"

I'm not familiar with either OSH or Footprint so I cannot comment. They may or may not be related to the quality and volume of the Veritas line.

woodworkers would

Perhaps, I've not done any market analysis so you may be 100% on target or you may be full of crap. Do you know what the potential market is for planes in North American? The world? Cite some figures and we can talk.

You must hae some figures then. What is the break even point on the tooling? What is the expected volume in the 2005 and 2006 fiscal years?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski