Big ? Iron from Lee Valley

My care package from Lee valley arrived yesterday (heh-heh). I had some brass hinges, screws, magnets and magnet cups in it. I had decided that if they were shipping this stuff, they might as well include a bevel up plane. That's how the iron was in the box. It's not really big iron ( like a #7), but the Jack plane. I guess you could call it medium iron. After I honed the A3 iron, (3/16" thick) I messed around with it. I bought it to use on a shooting board, but I think it could become one of my handplanes of choice. I ordered the 25 degree iron. I think it would be a better smoother with the 38 degree iron. Those of you that have the plane, do you use the 38 degree iron?

It really is a nice tool to use. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I have the low angle jack with both the irons you mention. The 25 degree one is definately better on end grain, and it also does very well on softwood when going with the grain.

The higher angle seems to work better for general use.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in news:nqm1i.136$Gm.106@trnddc04:

I seem to keep the HA iron in that plane most of the time. Works very well.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Thanks guys. I guess a 38 degree iron is going to be in my future. :-)

I really like the 25 degree iron when shooting an end or miter.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes