Major, major, major Lee Valley gloat.

Robin Lee tells me they've ordered signs for the construction site, so I don't feel I'm breaching any confidences to say...

SASKATOON IS FINALLY GETTING A LEE VALLEY STORE!!!!

And, it's only about 6 blocks from work. Joy!

Rob, can you send me bank account info? I'll just have the paycheck deposited directly.

As a further mini-gloat, I was in Winnipeg and Edmonton this past week, so got to visit two LV stores.

The Edmonton store is larger and very, very nice (much larger and nicer than ther old one) but the Winnipeg store had a lot more I was interested in on their clearance shelves.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

From (just) south of the border.

"bite me" (because we know it aint come'n here)

or the more traditional

you suck.

Reply to
C & S

You'd think, logically, that they would rather go south where it is warmer. Cochran, for instance.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Have you started training for lunch hour six block sprints yet? ;-)

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

You'll just have to come visit. We still enjoy seeing real money... ;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

No need. The Publisher and I will be going together, he's just as thrilled as I am. Oh, so is our chief accountant.

The only sad part of the whole thing is that one of our senior salesmen, name of Jim Rieger, died suddenly just before Christmas.

He would have LOVED having LV store here. In fact, I think I just heard a "you suck" from beyond the grave...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I have been considering that for a while; 'bout a 3 hour trip to Ottowa though. I'd lke to take in a seminar to make the trip worthwhile but the fill up so fast.

My wife is canadian. "Dollar for dollar... blah blah blah...". The duty free gets most of our wine budget, does that count? :-)

Cheers,

Steve .....1/2 mile from Quebec, but Rob won't open a store there either :-(

Reply to
C & S

Those clearance shelves are like opening Christmas presents sometimes. Your own store? - you're in trouble now!

Just don't open the door.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

You know that tingly feeling you got in your teens and maybe 20s when you were about to experience somethinat was going to feel REALLY good RIGHT NOW, but had the potential to be a real problem later?

It's like that...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:110620051344301382%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca:

So, as I understand it, the obligatory response has to do with sucking?

How does this enable you to ever get anything done? At least in the US, with catalog only, we can peruse the catalog in the private reading room. Wandering through well stocked stores can take all afternoon. Or longer.

And I can put down the catalog, having looked at a picture of a new plane. Usually. After examining it in hand, I'm not so certain.

Patriarch, who someday is going to have to do some research on this Saskatoon notion...

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
JGS

If it's a tool, and I get to fondle it before it heads north, I'm in!

My basement is already my BIL's personal wine cellar.

-Steve

Reply to
C & S

Oh, shut up. You suck. And Saskatoon sux, too. : )

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick

Too weird.... I'd looked up the Jasper Friendly Bear quote to use too!!!

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

I live in Burnaby, British Columbia and have two Lee Valley retail stores within reasonable driving distance. While their stores are bright & attractive, with lots of nice oak trim, there's not all that much to pick up and handle. Most stuff is either behind glass, in display cases, bolted down, or screwed to the wall. And, not surprisingly considering the number of items they stock, not all is out on display, either. There is a nice book section, though, with shelf copies available for perusal and a number of very comfortable arm chairs for said perusing.

Shopping at a retail LV store is a lot like shopping at a dept. store catalogue store. You fill out an order form from catalogues (plastic laminated pages in a steel binder fixed to a bench), take a number and wait for a green-shirted, usually middle-aged, clerk to call for you. S/he takes your order form and disappears into a cavernous warehouse, to return with your goodies. At that point you have your opportunity to have hands-on inspection. Once you're satisfied, the merchandise is bagged and the two of you, on your respective sides of the counter, walk down to the cashier. Your bag is placed in sequence and you cool your heels until the cashier calls out your name. I have not seen any floor staff yet.

Reply to
Rob Fargher

Have you ever asked to look at something that is behind glass or in the back room on a shelf? I have several times when I've visited Lee Valley Tool stores in Toronto and I've always been accommodated. Admittedly, the only time I visit one of their stores instead of using the mail order is when I'm buying a large amount of stuff or spending $300 or more. So, they might be granting my request only after seeing the list of stuff I'm buying, but I've never had any argument when I want to physically examine something.

When I go in with my list, I order everything and someone starts bringing the order out piece by piece. That gives me plenty of time to examine every item as it appears and I can decide at that time if I still want it.

Reply to
Upscale

I could NOT handle that... that would be like having a Harbor Freight next door...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Uh, no. I've got a HF within striking distance, I'd be happy to lose my money at LV instead even if it was twice as far away. That's a hint Robin. Really, Really.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I've examined small stuff (couple bucks worth) and turned them down, and there were no complaints, and had any number of questions answered without a list at all. I think the service is there if you need it, whether or not it looks like you're going to pay for it with a large order right then and there.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

No, I haven't and I have no doubt they'd accomodate such requests. But you do have to wait your turn for a clerk so I wait until I'm ready to make my order before seeing the actual stuff I'm considering. That I've never yet turned down anything I've written on the order form is both a tribute to LV's quality and my lust for their stuff. :-)

Reply to
Rob Fargher