Furniture Finish Question

I purchased a 5 - gallon bucket of oil-based poly to refinish my floors. Can I use the extra for finishing furniture? I was thinking about finishing the inside of my kitchen cabinets with an equal mix of poly - BLO - turpentine. Cabinet guts made from maple ply and face fames are cherry. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack

BLO and turpentine both stink in a major way.

Reply to
Hax Planx

And poly doesn't?

Reply to
CW

Thoughts, yes. Useful ones, well... Why mix those three things? They each have a place, but why mix? I could see putting poly over the BLO. Not my cuppa, but it seems ok to do. The turps will just make your rice taste funny.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

It does, but he has to use something for the finish, and he can do it without the BLO and turpentine. If it was me, I would probably just use shellac and only go to varnish later if it proved inadequate.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Go for it.

I'd personally go 40-20-40, poly-oil-spirits.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Why? A little turp will thin it if it it too thick; but why oil? The maple won't absorb much of it; it will just give a thinner and slower drying finish.

Reply to
toller

Yes you can use it. That's what I used for my workbench. It's a quick easy thin film finish.

However.... A kitchen is a high-use area. I would use something more full-strength for external and contact areas.

But the workbench... yes, it's a high use area, but it gets regular wax and I intend to shave down the surface to level it from time to time.... not something I intend to do with my kitchen cabs.

-steve

Reply to
C & S

Reply to