air filtration units - mounting

Just installed Jet filter, 1000 model..hanging from chains off 11' ceiling, middle of shop, air inflow is from saw area to back of shop..

Main question: is there a best way to physically mount? using chain, which is uneven so unit is at slight angle..not sure if I can get exact chain length to hang perfectly level. Suggestions?

Dont't want to mount directly on ceiling

Reply to
cc

Add appropriately rated turnbuckles to two of the chains.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Use eyebolts from the ciling or unit. The eyebolts have a thread that can be srewed up or down to match a particular height if you use chain.

I have mounted a number if items using cable because I have a cable swager. If I need to fine tune the cable length (or change it from time to time), I install turmbuckles in the cables. I can then change lengths easily by turning it with a screwdriver.

Lee Michaels

In the presence of vibration turnbuckles are self unadjusting just like some sears routers. Once you get them adjusted where you want them add some safety wires to keep them there. Art

"B A R R Y" wrote... [snip]

Reply to
Artemus

Mine was hung in my old garage by plumbers tape for a couple of years and did fine... It's not like you're dealing with several hundred pounds or a lot of HP..lol

As to perfectly level, why? There is nothing that I saw in the instruction for level, they even say it can be mounted sideways..

It's hanging from 4 eyebolts in a cement ceiling now, with closed S-hooks linking the ceiling and unit eye bolts.. Do I feel any safer? nope..YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I have one in my shop that's been hung from on the wall from hooks, and from the ceiling by chain. The only issues you have to worry about with it is how accessable the intake and exhaust are and you may need to be able to see the exhaust side of the unit. Still not 100% sure it can do both RF and IR control of the unit.

Depending on the size of the shop you may not even need to have it near the tools since its main purpose is to cycle all the shop air through the filter removing dust.

Reply to
strikerspam

It can be about anywhere.. Mines as close to the middle of the shop as I was willing to put it, and when it's on med or high and you stand in the shop door, you feel the air being drawn into the shop from the house..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Good point.

I typically buy the versions with locking nuts and apply Loctite, but safety wire is a more elegant solution.

Reply to
B A R R Y

You guys are working WAY too hard. I sunk some eyebolts into the ceiling joists, then hung my JDS with some chain. I think it's flat... at least it's flat enough. The filtration unit doesn't seem to care.

The fun part was getting it up there by myself. I looped some clothesline through the eyebolt, then through the eyelets on the unit, and back again until I'd formed about 7 loops. Then it pulled up easy as you please with just one hand, even though it weighed almost 90 lbs. The cheap man's block and tackle.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

As folks, have said, why worry about level? But I used those heavy duty cable ties that are used to hang HVAC ducts. Certainly strong enough and even provide some vibration isolation. They are also easily adjusted to level, if that matters.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Remember... There's level, and there's LEVEL!

Personally, since I have to look at the thing all the time, I went for "eyeball level", unchecked by measuring instruments. It's just that I wanted it to look like I was semi-sober when I put it up.

You know, a little pride...

I agree, the machine could care less.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Get a couple lengths of unistrut as long as the unit is wide. Get 4 strut-nuts (Home Depot carries them) and a length of allthread/threaded-rod. Hacksaw the threaded rod into appropriate lengths, lag the unistrut to the ceiling and use the strut-nuts to hang the unit with the theaded rod.

(Hint, put it all together on the ground first, then lift and lag to the ceiling).

Choose the threaded rod to fit the threaded holes in the top of the unit.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Does anyone know what thread the eyebolts are? They aren't 1/4-20. I'm finally getting around to hanging my Jet AFS-1000B. I managed to loose the eyebolts in the process of a move. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Anthony.Lembo

Call the vendor - it is an 800 #.

Also, mine quite suddenly, called them, and it appears this model sometimes has a faulty circuit board. They are sending new board and new remote at n/c, overnight..great service..

Reply to
cc

According to the parts list in the owners manual, the lock nut on the eyebolt is 6M so I'd assume the eyebolt thread is probably a 6Mx1 metric coarse thread. Doubt that it'd be a fine thread, but if it is, it'd be 6Mx.075.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch