Air filtration

Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns an air filtration system.

I am looking at the Powermatic PM1200 and the Jet AFS1000B.

Thanks for any comments.

Reply to
swalker

I have the Jet, it works well. Mounted to the ceiling, I made a pattern of the holes so I could mount the tabs to the ceiling joists. Then hanging it up is a one man job.

Reply to
Markem

They keep the shop cleaner by catching dust before it settles on your stuff. I like mine for just that. They don't make the air any safer, you still need your dust mask and dust collector to do that.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If your dust collection is working right, is there a need? I'd prefer to catch dust at its source rather than after it gets into the air.

Reply to
krw

IF you can, duct the discharge from the DC outside your building. I built a small shed to house the discharge from pipe, even put a half moon on the door. If you do duct outside, do not put a catch bucket in the little bui lding, the back pressure will cut your thought put. Trust me on this one.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Dust collection can't get it all. My vac connects directly to my ROS. I still get airborne dust. I upgraded the dust collection system on my miter saw. It collects a lot more than the stock chute, but you know how messy a miter saw is. The DC on the split fence on my router table works great, but not 100%. Then there's hand sanding. Even with a box fan setup you'll never catch it all.

That "settles" it. Dust will find a place to land. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A downdraft table works very well for this application.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

While sending everything out of the shop would be ideal it doesn't work well in a heated and air conditioned shop.

Reply to
swalker

I absolutely agree with this.

Reply to
swalker

That works if the project, or parts thereof, fit on the table. Beds, cabinets, bookcases...not so much.

I don't build a lot of small stuff. I'm more of a "full size" kind of guy. ;-)

DerbyDad03

I don't seem to get much fine dust. The miter saw makes a mess, sure, but it's throws around pretty large particles and they don't go far. I have a tent that catches almost all of it.

But a room air filter isn't going to even see the large stuff. It'll land close to the tool. The fine stuff is taken away with good tool connected dust collection.

Reply to
krw

A tent like that would take up half my shop!

I spent $600 on the Bosch Glide saw because I don't have room for the slide bars that hang off the rear of regular sliding miter saws, nevermind a huge tent behind it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Best choice might be to take up photography...

Reply to
Jack

I have been feeding the vortex created when I bought a lathe a few years ago. Nothing left in the budget for photography.

Reply to
swalker

But the SMCS throws off big stuff (and everywhere, granted). The big stuff doesn't get into the air, where the room filter could get it. The small stuff is dangerous and fairly easily collected at the source.

Reply to
krw

At least with (digital) photography, you guys don't need to invest in something like this to feel safe:

Jack

I have the Jet, works and the filter is an industry standard type

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Reply to
swalker

Have to wonder how hot that would be to work in.

Reply to
swalker

Small price to pay to be safe from all that nasty wood dust.

Reply to
Jack