Air Filtration units

I recently add a Dust collection system but as other have found it only get part of the dust. I'm looking at the Jet 1000b unit and the JDS 750 unit. I would like something quiet but able to filter my 20x20 shop. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks again

Reply to
Keith

Keith wrote in news:1107644230.88efe97ef84d72a36485b8aec660b041@1usenet:

If you want to get _all_ of the dust, you're going to need to consider a mask or positive pressure face shield. Handheld tools, lathe, sanding blocks, etc. are not going to be hooked up effectively to the DC.

It's not a cleanroom type of hobby.

Friends of mine who have an overhead filter rarely turn them on. They seem to make that little difference.

Patriarch, who opens the garage/shop door for fresh air.

Reply to
Patriarch

well that's because you don't have the right setup (big enough pipe or big enough dc or the right dc or poor tool hookup) the hanging air cleaners do little to help your lungs.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Open the door? You must live in the tropics!

My experience with air cleaners is the opposite, I have a home built one and it gets turned on as soon as I walk into the shop. Before I was always blowing crap out of my nose, now my honker stays nice and clean. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

This thread comes up almost weekly. I know some people can get 100% dust collection off of contractors saws and miter saws, but those of us who can't devote 20sf to hoods are not so lucky. (The vocational ed school I took a woodworking course at doesn't use DC on their saws because they feel it is just a waste of energy; and they have a monsterous DC. They just have the planners and jointers hooked up. I would like to see them do something better about sanders and routers.)

My Jet works pretty good. After a days use I take the filter outside and knock about a quarter cup of dust out of it. A good chunk of that would be in my lungs otherwise. Can't say what the fine filter catches, for obvious reasons.

Reply to
toller

"Greg O" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Weather gloat! I worked on the driveway, and in the shop, from 8:30 am until 4 pm, with a couple of Scouters. An Eagle Scout project, benches, built from Western Red Cedar milled from a tree donated by a family friend.

And Thursday, we grilled, on the back deck. Lunch and dinner.

San Francisco area, East Bay. Couple of times a 'winter', it gets like this.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I'll double check the DC connectors for leaks. I have a Jet DC-1100RCK with 4" pipe to the Delta unisaw. I was using the table saw most of the day building a DVD stand.. I don't care that much about the dust in the shop but had allot of dust in the throat which was the concern. Thanks for the suggestions

wrote:

Reply to
Keith

Keith...

A few guys that I have talked to like the Delta 50-875 in conjunction with a regular DC unit. The Delta AF has a easiy to clean/replace front filter and 3 speeds with a remote so you can set it and forget it. That's the one I have my eye on.

Mike

Reply to
captmikey

Bottom of the page, moves a lot of air and get a lot of fine particulate.

Keith wrote:

Reply to
Phil
.

Well I have a fairly noisy one speed Delta sitting up close to the ceiling in my 24x24 shop plus a home built filter sitting under my workbench on the floor on the oppisite side of the shop...

I have to agree that they do not seem to do much...BUT those filters are always loaded and need to be serviced quite a lot... SO they are doing something...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I also do some metal working. My air filter is running then too. It DOES make a difference! When welding it even helps remove allot of the smoke from the air. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

it does not take huge collectors it takes planning and usually a couple connections. my tablesaw has under the table collection and I refitted the overhead guard to a 4" hose. only once in awhile does dust escape when I cut only on one side of the blade. it takes some effort and a big enough DC but it is possible. it's better to keep the sawdust out of the air then catch it afterwards. if course air cleaners catch dust but it has already circulated quite a bit by then.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I purchased the JDS unit. Amazon has a $25 off any order over $199 & "free" shipping plus JDS is packaging an electrostatic filter and remote with the unit. My total cost was $265.

A few weeks ago, I moved my turnery from the garage to a small room in the basement. As our laundry and clothes ironing area is also in the basement along with some of my wife's work clothes, sanding dust from lathe work would really be a sore spot.

While I use a DC hose positioned close to the work that catches most of the sanding dust, some still gets away - I can see it floating in the air around the lights. The JDS air filter really seems to be catching this stuff. I took the electro filter to the garage and blew it out with an air hose and quite a bit of dust came out.

After reading the reviews of the Jet, Delta and JDS units on Amazon as well as some very positive comments on rec.crafts.woodturning (google "Lyn Mangiameli" and JDS - he talks about the upgrades JDS offers to older units) I decided on the JDS. It's quality seems very good and it's still USA made -- hooorah!

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Used furnace blowers can be picked up cheap. Most will turn over all the air in an entire house 2 or 3 times an hour so a 20x20 should be no problem. If you have a truck maintenance place or truck rental/lease outfit in town you can probably get pleated air cleaner filters used for nothing. Blow hem out and you're good to go for catching the really fine dust.

And why not kill three birds with one stone - air cleaner/down draft sanding table AND outfeed table. Check it out.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Charlie,

Nice shop cleaner

Charlie b wrote:

Reply to
Keith

Reply to
Bob Bowles

4" pipe...

I've seen a lot of references to 4" pipe being too narrow, and essentially choking off the DC. Sufficient airflow is one of several points necessary to pull the fine dust into the DC instead of letting it escape into the air.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram