Air Filtration

I'm just starting to look at an air filtration system for my garage/shop are there others than Jet, Oneida, Delta and JDS I should be looking at? Garage is 19' x 24', 8' sheet rock ceiling.

Reply to
asmurff

Everything you always wanted to know about dust collection but were afraid to ask:

for roll your own cyclone (if you've not lived with a cyclone you don't know why you want one, if you have then you wonder how you lived without it):
can also build one from scratch using the information on Bill's site. If you're not used to working with sheet metal, go with the Clearvue.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, I know that the Delta systems come with a remote control and a run timer so you can set it to continue to up to 2 hours after you leave the shop and it will auto shut off. The flip side is that you can slip into the shop start it filtering and after an hour you may be able to paint in the shop.

A true cyclone system, is better than a trashcan cylone lid, which is better than just going straight to a bag dust collector.

In moving from one shop to another I was surprised at the amount of dust that got through a 4 to 6 micron bag. So if you do go with a impeller to bag system think about placing it in a shielded box with a couple of hepa filter or better to allow air out of the box.

If your cycl>I'm just starting to look at an air filtration system for my garage/shop are

Reply to
strikerspam

Can also work as a heater. Figure a 5 horse motor at full blast is drawing more than 3 kilowatts, and all of it eventually ends up as heat in the air.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually the Onedia cyclone we have is in a seperate room. Still lots of air flow through the shop. We still need the wall baseboard type heaters we have in the shop.

Reply to
strikerspam

It seems like your answer is confusing an air filtration unit with a dust collector. Ideally, both are necessary. I use the dust collector to suck up most of the sawdust that my machines generate and they are directly plumbed to those machines via 4" tubing and dust gates. I also use a trashcan cyclone in series with that collector to separate out the bigger chunks that find their way to the 1 micron bag rather than through the impeller.

've got a muffler installed on mine that quiets it down enough to where two people can have a normal conversation without having to shout. Try that with a shop vacuum! But I digress.

Then there is the situation with the airborne dust that seems to settle on everything after you get done working. Since my woodshop is the far side of my two bay garage and my car goes in the near bay, this can be annoying. It was corrected with the air filtration unit that hangs from the ceiling. Mine happens to be a JDS similar to this one:

have remotes for both of these. I've hung a remote for the dust collector on the table saw and another is velcroed to the bandsaw. The air cleaner's remote is mounted on the wall by the door so I will remember to set its timer to 3 hours or so as I'm leaving the shop.

Between the two of them, I feel like I've got it handled.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Assuming you're talking about the kind that hang from the ceiling and circulate air through filters...

Wood magazine did a pretty extensive test of them a while back. I don't remember who they liked, but there was quite a spread in performance. Worth looking for.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I'm not sure if this is the same test which included a homemade unit made from a squirrle cage fan set inside a box with some filters at the intake and output sides. There are a lot of choices from 3-M but I can't give you a micron size so read the box. In one test that I read this type of filter made a respectable showing. A unit this size doesn't hang from the ceiling, of course. You add a timer switch and you're in business.

Reply to
C & E

Reply to
strikerspam