Air Conditioned Shop?

To all of in an air-conditioned shop: YOU SUCK!!!

Sweaty in High Point.

Reply to
Stoutman

Mike Berger

Reply to
Phisherman

So are you saying that your shop would be more comfortable if it had no A/C?

Reply to
Leon

Whiner! Greg (one of the guys with AC in the shop!)

Reply to
Greg O

I actually put in actual A/C in the shop this year but I haven't had a chance to get out and enjoy it yet. Window air conditioners are cheap, why not pick one up and you can stop sweating?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

"Stoutman" opin'd thus:

Thank you.

My Man Garage came with heat (essential in Minnesota) but it didn't have air conditioning, and I thought it woodn't need it, but I had a window unit from the previous place, so I put it in. I found out that it couldn't keep the Man Garage at low enough humidity in the summer months, so I added another air conditioner. I run it whenever the humidity gets to 65 percent or so, which keeps the temperature at around 70 degrees -- about right for anything I want to do out there, including woodworking and wrenching on motorcycles . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

Hey!! gonna be 95 Sat. Sun. If it makes you feel better I'll turn it off......NOT lol

Reply to
Lee

I lived all my life in California until 18 years ago - I'm 55. I had a shop in my 1 car garage for years. We moved to Florida, I bought a new Powermatic table saw and took over the 2 car garage for my new business to be, cabinets and furniture. I got my first commission in July - the double 90's. Just couldn't handle it, so I went into computers instead.

15 years later, I remarried - this time to a nice southern girl. She finally told me what others never did. You can put an AC in the window of a garage!

So now I have a new house, my workshop is in the garage, and I have the biggest window ac I could fit!

As Borat would say, "very nice!"

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Nice and cool in Canuckistan (with AC)

Reply to
Robatoy

Fri, Jul 6, 2007, 3:51pm@. (Stoutman) doth lament: To all of in an air-conditioned shop: YOU SUCK!!! Sweaty in High Point.

Boy, you can sure tell I have a different view of all this then you guys.

I've got a in the window of my shop;. sucks air in, blows out thru the door; with a breeze going I can ignore the heat. Trees shading the shop, probably helps. If the fan dies, I'd have to stop work, until I got another.

Haven't even turned the house A/C on this year. Probably because it died sometime between last year and the year before, and I've not bothered to replace it yet. LOL Fan in the front window, window in the back door open aout 6", somethimes the front door open, sometmes it's closed, ignore the heat. Usually only turn the A/C on during Aug, and/or Sep, andyway. And then only for a day or two a a time, then it's back to the fan in the window.

Some heat in winter is the important part.

J T

Do you have decent ceilings and windows? Then YOU SUCK!

I backed into an air conditioned shop, as it's the walk-out basement under the air conditioned house. Open the door, and the cool air falls down the stairs, into the basement, and out the back door.

The rest of the time, it's still a dank basement...

**
**

B A R R Y

I've got two window units in my shop, about 12,000 Btus short of what I need, so I have to start them up the night before, preferably just before I fall asleep, to have a cool shop the next day. Then, if it's not over about 86-87, they work. Right now, with temperatures in the high 80s and low to mid 90s, forget it. By noon, the shop is uninhabitable, at least for fat elderly types.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Must be that ale ya been drinking...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Damn, Charlie... that one hurt! lol And here I was agreeing with Bill Grumbine about needing a "turning muscle" before you said that..

I've got a 2 ton "mini split" in the shop, and only a 22 x 18' area to cool, so it works pretty well, until manual labor is involved...

I turn it on in the morning a bit after sunrise, same time that I roll down the reflective shades over the East-facing windows.. usually set at 28 or 29 C, (low 80's F) it works well for light work, friends and clients over and stuff like that, but to keep from standing at the lathe in a puddle of sweat I'd probably have to set it at about 75f... and I'm way too cheap to do that, even with the low electricity prices here..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Is your shop insulated? I've been thinking about installing a mini-split in my shop, which is also my garage. It's approx 22 x 30, but seems to be insulated, because it resists heating up on hot days pretty well - better than the garage in the old house, which heated up fast and stayed that way, even after I installed foam panels in the garage door two years ago. I had a 12000-BTU window-type AC that managed to keep the shop down to 85 F on hot days - not quite good enough for this fat old guitar builder. :-(

Anyway, I was considering a 1.5-ton unit, but based on your comment I'm thinking I'd better get the 2-ton unit.

Also, did you install it yourself, or did you have an AC contractor do it?

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

My shop is in the basement also. I have to close the vents in the summer because it gets a little to cool.

Reply to
Bigpole

Actually, you can have TOO large an air conditioner. If the unit is too big, it'll cool down to your set temperature is so short a time that it doesn't get a chance to remove the humidity. I think my AC is just on the edge of too big, because on some days it is cool but a little clammy.

Just my 2 cents...

Les

Reply to
LesT

Good point - but in the area around Sacramento CA it's generally pretty dry when it gets hot. Right now it's 81 degrees and the humidity is

41%. It's expected to get to 96 at around 5PM and the humidity will probably be 25% by then.

Where are you located?

The garage is 22 x 30, but the ceiling is 11 feet, so its the equivalent of a 900 sq ft room with an 8-ft ceiling. One supplier's system-size calculator is telling me I need a 1.6-ton unit, and my experience with the 12000-BTU unit I used before is that I should err toward larger, not smaller. Also, since I'm working with guitars, I don't want the air too dry anyway.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

I have a 24x38 foot shop running a 1-1/2 ton AC and it just barely keeps up. Today I started the AC at noon, and it has run steady all afternoon, 3:50 PM right now. It has slowly dropped the temp from 78F down to 73F so far. So in reality it is sized just right! With a 22x30 foot shop with reasonable insulation I would go with a 1-1/2 ton AC. Bigger and it will not dehumidify. You are actually better to run the hell out of a slightly undersized unit than to go oversize. I used to have a window shaker for AC. It would not keep up, but the shop was still pretty comfortable with the low humidity. Greg

Reply to
Greg O