Advice Wanted On This Trim Project

Be a lot better to use red cedar

Reply to
clare

Yeah... PVC can be a bit pricy compared to "real" wood!

Any chance you can get your client to allow you (code for "they pay for") to put an aluminum drip cap on it? As it now water is running down the face of the brick, and probably through the brick, and landing on the wood. I'm thinking a hem at the back (to keep water from migrating towards the house) and a small lip over the outside would suffice. The curve is gentle enough that you might not have to worry about relief cuts on the lip... use a gutter downspout crimper to shrink the lip a bit if needed... (could probably be improvised).

John Grossbohlin

None. Maybe PT wood was better back then.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I took a look at the photo again after I posted about the drip cap on the curve... I think you also need some window/door cap flashing between the curved board and the top board of the door frame.

You could probably modify this stuff for the curve too if you don't have a brake to bend up the flashing I suggested in my prior note. For example, trim the top leg down to about 1/4" and put some relief cuts in it. Then turn it into a hem with a hand seamer. For example:

After you have the curve bent into it apply some silicone chalk at the relief cuts.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Amazing. The CCA stuff was a lot better, sure, but water still did it in. I had that stuff shred on decks, too.

Reply to
krw

PT wood has always varied in quality from pretty decent to total crap. The older stuff had more potent chemicals

Reply to
clare

As a matter of fact I do. A brand new, never used Okidata. A box of tractor paper too.

Reply to
dadiOH

Is tractor paper what you put on their seats when you service them? ;)

Reply to
OFWW

Or just maybe the local climate makes a difference in the longevity of pressure treated softwoods.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Use a pantograph from the original photo to the board itself.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The decks/walkways in question see an average of 35" of rain and 85" of snow per year. Both areas get shoveled, so they are rarely snow covered for any length of time. Neither area gets any sun to speak of.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

OFWW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's the stuff you put under the old one that just can't stop leaking.

Even my brand new tractor had to be paper trained. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Did you say "tractor paper" or "paper tractor"?

DerbyDad03

And around here, we're lucky to get 15" total moisture annually (99% from November through April). PT lasts a long time.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Untreated SPF would likely last in that climate with a cheap coat of paint - perhaps even without.

Reply to
clare

Protect the door and rip out the wood back to clean bricks. Rip some Luan o r door skin into 2'x8', however many it takes to span the opening at ground level. Tack it together and tack it to the frame so it stands verticaly. Drop a plumb bob from the bricks to the luan and make a mark. Touch each brick or every few inches, whatever works for you, and make a mark. Work s ide to side plotting as you go. Connect the dots and cut on the line to de scribe a rough copy of the arch. Hold it up and scribe it close for a good fit. Transfer the arc to the new material. Works every time.

Reply to
jmpisa

In these parts we get more rain in a year than most places get in a single day. PT lumber typically dissolves from UV exposure.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Which may explain why my decks and walkways have lasted for so long.

They get so little sun, they don't even know how to spell UV.

Reply to
DerbyDad03