Subject Author Posted Replies

Desensing PIR Detectors
Hi all, Is there a way to make PIR motion sensors a bit *less* sensitive? I have one of these Driveway Alert ones from CPC and it's supposed to have a range of about 30' but is actually detecting...
10
10

Dismanltling Axminster biscuit jointer ?
Hello.. How do you dismantle this Axminster biscuit jointer? The instructions that came with are lost, (I have had it a few years) and I cannot see what needs to be unscrewed to get at the balde so it...
2
2

What external panels to clad an oil shed?
My oil shed walls are clad with asbestos cement panels that probably date from the 60s and are past their best, but the angle iron frame that they're attached to is sound. What are the options for...
4
4

UPVC door.
Wanted a well weather proof door for access to my roof terrace. Period or whatever looks not that important as it's a conversion. The original wood one leaked with driven rain - despite spending quite...
1
1

D Day Remembered
After my time, I was a post war baby, but it looks like the weather patterns we've had in the last few days are reminiscent of 5-6th June 1944, where a glorious few weeks of late May gave way to...
19
19

OT BA cockup
I have seen reports that the BA site was misbehaving on the Friday before catastrophe Saturday. Anyway, their database is still cocked up as the email telling us to check in last Sunday did not appear...
4
4

I built a box to stand my telly on
Been a bit of a long slog this one - I started it mid January! (usual typo warnings apply - feel free to fix / highlight bits that don't make sense)...
63
63

Oil fired boiler. What do you think the problem is.
I have an oil fired boiler, which when switched on will run normally for up to 3 minutes. It then stops, after a few seconds it starts to run again, the solenoid on the oil pump does not open, so the...
6
6

Can anyone identify this connector please:
Hi All, I'm trying to rig up an additional means of connecting to a 12V battery caddy off a mobility scooter but didn't want to affect / change the existing connectors, for now anyway. They look like...
9
9

Victorian door handle dilemma
Can anyone help? I have a number of original Victorian rim locks on the internal doors of my house. Despite 130 years-plus of paint, the spring handles and latches all work fine but I don't have any...
10
10

Re: Dyson erosion
Have you spoken to Dyson at all about this? They might be interested to know just where the erosion is occurring. Shared album – Tim Downie - Google Photos
4
4

The song of the earth
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is offering Brian Gaff the keys. Can someone who is familiar with Braille punch out the polar points of the North Atlantic charts so that they can be read as...
3
3

Followup, engineered wood floor
Some weeks back I asked for recommendations for a supplier of engineered wood flooring. In the end I went with "Abbey Creswell Oak 21mm Brushed UV Oiled Plywood Core Engineered Flooring" from Factory...
9
9

3" fence posts or 4" fence posts?
Hi, oh learned ones! I need to construct a fence that will be subject to some strong winds. It i s only 5.7 meters long and will have 5 posts, two of which will be bolted t o buildings. The three...
21
21

Good type of filler
Can anyone recommend a good type of wall filler? One room in my house has a curtain rail which is beginning to come away since the wall plugs are pulling away from the wall. I think this is because...
18
18