TOT Condensed Milk Brands

Does any one recall brand names of Condensed milk (the thick gloopy sweet white stuff) that used to come in tins about 2/3 the height of stand baked bean type tins. This would have been around 50 years ago. My recollection was of a mainly white label with possibly blue writing on it but I just can't summon up a name.

BTW I am NOT thinking of evaporated milk such as Carnation.

The subject came up over lunch today and I'm buggered if I can recall the name and it is bugging me now! TIA Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Nestlés as far as I recall.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

carnation did make it too.

whisky-dave

According to this website

"Both condensed milk and evaporated milk are forms of concentrated milk in which approximately 60 percent of the water content has been removed. The major difference that sets these two canned milk products apart is sugar content; sweetened condensed milk, as the name implies, is always sweetened, while evaporated milk is unsweetened."

"Condensed milk contains 40 to 45 percent sugar." !!!! (That's a lot of sugar.)

Why not just buy some evaporated milk and a large bag of sugar, then mix them up to make condensed milk? :)

Reply to
GB

We have a tin in the store cupboard that's been there for at least 10 years! The brand is Fussell's. Not a name I'm familiar with. We must have bought it in Tesco's because that's where we always shopped until recently.

Reply to
The Other John

44 years ago I was Chief Engineer on a small oil tanker sailing out of Fleetwood. Fleetwood is in Lancashire. The milk supplied was condensed milk and I found it to be utterly disgusting, both by taste and smell. The other members of the crew had no problem with it. I drank my coffee black.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Bob Minchin wrote on 19/04/2018 :

Nestles!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I had a great aunt whose housekeeper made the most amazing fudge using Fussels - back in the late 60s, early 70s. I think the formulation got changed sometime after that.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

There was a square sign saying condensed milk but as I recall this was like a powder substance that tasted disgusting when water was aded. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it was old enough it might have been wartime National Milk.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Scott

It's still sold (IIRC, in the home baking section) of TescOS, Morrisons, etc.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Condensed milk.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think that's why we bought it but never got round to using it. I've discovered a 'best by' date on it of 'Dec 1995'! It's older than I thought. Think it will be OK still? :)

Reply to
The Other John

As others have said - Nestles and Fussels. If you're nostalgic for it, get some Nestle Carnation Squeezy condensed milk, which is the same in a handy dispenser.

Reply to
Dave W

Condensed milk came first (by about 70 years). It took that long to work our how to concentrate tinned milk without sugar.

Reply to
Max Demian

Very handy for ultra runners. I plan to slurp a couple of tubes in two weeks? time.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well, SWMBO reports she just buys own label from the supermarkets, but I'm sure at least one of the brands is available from them too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh don't tell me that. In Geneva I used to buy the same stuff in a toothpaste tube format - what a temptation it was.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Bob Minchin writes

The ones I remember are Carnation and Ideal evaporated, and Nestles (pronounced Nestles not Nes-lay) condensed, the Nestles condensed being in a tin with a blue and white label. The tin was more 'squat' than a bean tin.

Reply to
Graeme