Memories

Remember when if you bought a light bulb the shop would put it on a tester to show it worked?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes - a nice little panel of live sockets at finger height on the counter in Victor Towler's in Banstead IIRC (1970s) :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes - and was told this wasn't a good idea. Burnt off the protective coating applied to protect the filament from vibration etc during transit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ISTR these devices had a switch operated either by inserting the bulb or a lever adjacent to the socket, so weren't live when casual fingers touched them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Remember the foot x-ray machines in some shoe shops?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

A lot of common sense stuff has disappeared. Mind you, so have nationalised industries (electricity showroom, anyone?) so it's not all been bad.

Reply to
Tim Streater

25% discount at Electricity showroom if you worked anywhere in the industry
Reply to
newshound

on 19/04/2018, DerbyBorn supposed :

That was in the days when such bulbs were relatively much more expensive to buy.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yep, it was fascinating to watch your toes wiggle in the shoes. Lewis's had one in Leeds centre.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I suppose some of you still remember the gas lamp man coming around extinguishing the gas lamps in the street and shouting out what time it was ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Woolworth's [1]. Bulbs were packed in special cartons that enabled you to test them in situ. Corrugated paper sleeve with a square end piece with a hole for the bulb base. I think they also tested batteries before sale - though my memory is a little hazy on this.

On a different subject, does anyone remember sugar paper? Granulated sugar was sold in similar white paper bags as today (except they were

2lbs rather that 1kg), but inside there was a layer of blue "sugar paper" Why was this done, and why did they stop? [1] Stuffy old Woolworth's used to object to that common designation with the stores always signed "F.W. Woolworth"; but they later relented and allowed themselves to be called "Woolies" in the adverts.
Reply to
Max Demian

Edinburgh's gas lamps had modern techology. A clockwork mechanism in each lamppost turned on the gas supply in the evening. ;-)

Reply to
charles

The one I remember in Woolies had big pushbuttons at either side of the box. Both had to be pressed to power up the bulb, ensuring that both hands were well clear of the connector when it was live.

Must have been a very advanced safety measure for that era.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

When I was a teacher in the 70s we used to have A0 sheets of quite rough pastel-coloured papers. They were used for art and craft. They were known as 'sugar paper'.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Even better was to jam small brothers head into it and watch his jaw work as he complained..

Reply to
Peter Parry

Yes they are probably banned on health and safety grounds, could not have open mains level pins facing up on a counter top, oh no. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh yes they were. At least the one in our local shop was. I know tis as somebody dropped a nut in one once and phut. I'm sure switched ones were made, but this was certainly not one of them! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That sounds like an urban myth, most bulbs survived for ages in inspection lamps that were just chucked in the back of vans several times a day, and they were only using normal bulbs. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes True form had one in 1957 in I think Clapham Junction. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The issue with these was not so much the dose of the person being scanned, but the dosage received by the assistants in the shop operating it of course. No lead aprons back then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff