Subject Author Posted Replies

Landline alternatives...but not mobile phones?
I have three houses that need to speak to each other regularly and current ly use landlines, all have internet and I am thinking we should get rid of the landlines and go voip but haven't a clue where...
13
13

[OT] Classic FM playing loud music at night
Why does Classic FM play loud music in the middle of the night? If I can't sleep I might put on Classic FM in the middle of the night but sometimes I get amazingly loud marches and big symphonies when...
19
19

Repair to platerboard wall
Sorry about the disco lights they are from previous owners. The walls as you can see from all the indents are in a pretty bad state, I then think what they have done is paper over with liner paper and...
15
15

PVC beading on wooden door.
The exterior wooden beading on our double doors around the DG units is in need of replacement. There are 8 DG panes in total and I'd need 16m of beading. I have some PVC beading from another job....
3
3

R. Cott. 20
Plastic piping for hot and cold plumbing. I have had a nose round the Wiki and been reminded of the Dr. Drivel days. Any more current do's and don'ts? I have several runs to do which will be very...
17
17

R. Cott. 19?
Emulsion on fresh plaster. ISTR a thread where different strength mist coat was discussed and brand preferences. This joy now awaits so sound advice would be appreciated.
5
5

Swapping a shower over
Hi all, We have a ten-year-old Aqualisa Aquarian shower. It's on its last legs and I'd like to do a straightforward like-for-like replacement before it either breaks completely or gets discontinued....
3
3

Gas hob problem
I just bought a flat to rent out and the gas hob has a couple of problems Overall the hob is very clean and not obviously abused. The large burner wont light by itself but gentle blowing at the burner...
11
11

Miracle battery revival
Found an old Archos Vision 35 portable media player thing that was last used in 2012ish. Obviously the battery was flat as flat and plugging it in expecting it to charge was a fantasy. Sure enough...
8
8

OT: Gardening/Problem Bergenia
Second summer here and the Bergenia just above a small pond is in a very sorry state whilst others nearby are thriving. I've tried a gardening forum to no avail and there must be experts here who can...
4
4

Which propane torch for burning off paint?
I have just started looking online for a propane torch and cannot decide what it is that I need. There are too many options for me to absorb quickly and I want to buy this tomorrow so that I can get...
21
21

OT: BritainÂ’s Energy Policy Keeps Picking Losers
Matt Ridley's blog; nobody escapes unscathed! "Hinkley is but the worst example of a nationalised energy policy of picking losers. The diesel fiasco is another. The wind industry, with its hefty...
23
23

OT: Bryn Terfel 'The Gasman Cometh"
Edinburgh Festival, BBC1, 'Today' approx. 8.45 Watch BBC One live on BBC iPlayer.
7
7

OT Historic pictures.
presentation/d/ 1gcPeLUIY0wB4bdsS8IH23Afzd5o9X 7zPJ2LezrQAMl0/embed?hl=en_GB& size=m&slide=id.p5 Sign in - Google Accounts
2
2

[OT] Windows Movie Maker
I'm probably missing the obvious here. My version of W10 did not include Movie Maker, so I downloaded a copy from and it works, but is a trial version with limited use. I can apparently buy the full...
6
6