The bathrooms have escaped

If you work on the principle that big DIY jobs are never truly finished, they just reach a point where all the stuff that is left to do just gets added to a list ;-)

A long rambling tale for them that like that kind of stuff:

John Rumm

An interesting story, and a good looking job.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I don't think *any* of mine ever get even approximately finished.

I need to get some skirting for the bathroom; the previous incompetent used dado rail as skirting. (And some of my tiles have fallen off.)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , John Rumm writes

Fuck. John takes less time to completely refit two bathrooms than I take to rip out a shower, bog and basin, and fit one end cap :-)

Great job.

Reply to
Graeme

Yeah - John's annoying like that :->>>

I've had the pleasure of meeting him personally and he's a damn fine bloke. Adam too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Actually, I was quite relieved to get to the end and find that he'd taken 4 months, which was about what last big bathroom refurb took. I expected him to have done it in about 4 weekends!

Agreed.

Reply to
Huge

That would have been nice... but not going to happen for so many reasons alas!

I had about two weeks full time to kick it off, but then it was just a couple of hours a day here and there, and a few evenings and weekends...

It probably took as much elapsed time as doing all the structural bits on the left conversion I did at the last place, but then I had help with some of that, not to mention being 14 years younger ;-)

Yeah, well I only pick the camera angles to show you the nice bits...

Reply to
John Rumm

The original pictures of the old bathroom didn't look too bad but the new one is even better. It's a good result. Well done.

It must add another 5% to the total effort to document, photograph and write it up so clearly!

Reply to
pamela

Yup I thought that when I looked at them - but keep in mind those were taken 10 years ago (they were the only "before" photos I had, since I forgot to take some before I started working). They were also taken with fairly sympathetic angles and lighting!

Most of the issues with the main bathroom were practical rather than aesthetic. The bath was not a good shape (too shallow, and short), there was no shower, the floor was actually quite dangerous when wet. The glaze on the loo knackered etc.

Then our en-suite was due to be done anyway since I wanted a shower in there. The bath seemed like a nice addition, and while the WC etc worked well enough, I was not a fan of the dark pink!

(there is a fair chance all the fittings were 15 years old when we moved in)

Thanks. Not going to be to everyone's taste I am sure, but it seems to fit the bill for us.

Alas I did not take many photo's of this, since I thought at the outset there would not be much "new" in the process to write up. Its only by the time the end of it approached I realised that there was an awful lot of "detail" stuff that potentially might have been interesting.

(there is also the point that having the page handy serves as a handy record of what I did and when - either for my own reference, or just to show off some pictures if people ask what I have been up to!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have just rewritten the text to make it a bit more consistent in style, and added a few diagrams.

Ta...

I have one bit of extra tarting I might yet do... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm