Subject Author Posted Replies

"Peritelevision" = SCART?
Anyone else ever seen a TV marked "peritelevision" instead of "SCART"? -- = There are forty =A3100 million notes in the Bank of England.
28
28

OT: Is it worth changing estate agents?
We've had a house up for sale with a High Street estate agent and the contract length of 16 weeks is coming to an end with no buyers. In The Old Days (tm) we would now change to a different agent and...
36
36

Suppliers of replacement roller door top straps?
These are also called "t straps". I need some for 77mm aluminium roller door panels. I found a supplier with a good price but their min postage seems too high. Where can I buy these from?
3
3

Smart central heating/ wifi controls
I'm seriously considering installing one of these Nest/Hive-type gizmos to control my central heating. There are so many of them around now, with different generations too - anyone got any...
4
4

individual household soil-sewage system
The house has always shared the attached neighbour's septic tank. For various reasons I am looking at terminating that arrangement and installing a new system for waste water and sewage. There are no...
13
13

Falling through plasterboard
What is this myth about falling through the ceiling when you're in the attic? Plasterboard holds my weight easily.
22
22

Best paint for external ironwork
I have some vintage external ironwork to paint. Its a series of substantial decorative iron posts, which have a rusty surface under the existing crumbling/flaking paint. Having given them a very good...
12
12

OT A bit of advice please
Starting to consider a change of car and find that the nearly new ones of the model I fancy are Diesels. (Mercedes B Class) I have never had a diesel. I have never fancied a diesel. I accept some...
52
52

[OT] Rant - Direct Debits
The DD was invented to pay variable sum bills. So *why* do few energy suppliers offer DD on the amount due? They all like to have DD for some fixed monthly guesstimate sum. I've just had another...
42
42

R. Cott 18
First fix plumbing... Pipe sizing. Recent holiday cottage was plumbed in 15mm at mains pressure (I think). Toilet flushing was particularly noisy with the cistern valves slamming open and shut and...
2
2

DIY Aircon
A mate of mine just did a DIY aircon install, so I talked him into writing it up for the wiki. Seems like a good result: Split-type Room Air Conditioner - DIYWiki
35
35

CES multipoint lock
I have two uPVC doors fitted with CES multipoint locks, keyed differently. I need to have them keyed alike - there are no locksmiths for many miles around, so I thought I'd simply replace them myself,...
8
8

"Inverted" 13 A Plug
Does such a thing exist? That is bog standard 13 A fused plug but with the cable exiting out of the plug nearest the earth pin (top) rather than the live and neutral pins (bottom). Have a load of wall...
33
33

Installing a UPVC window upside-down...
Hi friends, I would like to install a UPVC window upside-down. It is this style of wind ow: $normal$ I want to install it so that the opening section is at the bottom. I'm gues sing that I simply need...
5
5

OT: Here's one for the cat haters.
8