Shed Roof Felt

After about 30 years the shed roof needs re-felting - one side has slipped due to the wind and sun.
Originally it was nailed with galvanised nails. Where it was nailed it has
now torn.
Is there a better way using glue nowadays?
On 24/06/2018 16:33, DerbyBorn wrote:

There are several options... the traditional three layer felt would use a nail prep layer (a hessian re-enforced felt) random nailed, and then underlay and top felt layers hot bonded with tar or glued to that.
My personal preference is using torch on felt (usually a modified / rubberised bitumen style like SBS felt). Just two layers - a 2mm underlay, and then a 4mm mineral finish top coat. Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket, and very quick and easy to apply so long as you have or can borrow a decent sized blow torch.
--
Cheers,

John.

Would you expect that to last 30 years? Mine was made like that and has needed a few repairs - apparently were the adhesion had failed.
--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

I have not had any indication of loss of adhesion with the torch on stuff I have used so far. So I would expect it to last toward the upper end of what you can expect from felt in general. However none of the jobs I have done with it are 30 years old yet, so I can't say for certain from personal experience.
If looking for maximum life, then two layers of undercoat would probably help.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 10:54:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's irrelevant if the cowboy that did it has long since fucked off.
(I'm a bit bitter, as I'm fixing the new roof I splashed £7K on 4 years ago, and just discovered the ****ers didn't even put piece of wood along the apex to screw the ridge tiles down. The screws are just held into the plastic spacer ...)
I would have been better off spending the money on psychotherapy to deal with my fear of heights - which is no joke. Hence my being on the roof today.
On Sunday, 24 June 2018 16:33:50 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Bitumen paint. It's cheap & works pretty well. Nailing is asking for failure.
NT
On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 1:30:12 AM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bound to fail in another 30 years
On Monday, 25 June 2018 07:23:07 UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:

every shed felt job fails in 30 years.
NT

What do you do with the bitumen paint on an old felted shed roof? Paint over the felt? Use it to stick joins or seal nails? prime?
TW
On Monday, 25 June 2018 09:20:39 UTC+1, TimW wrote:

It's glue. Stick the felt down with it.
NT
Erm the edges curl if you do that. I guess you coule get some edging of some sort the stop it. Brian
--
----- --

Do you expect to live another 30 years? ;-)
--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?