Subject Author Posted Replies

Need a reputable London gardening firm
x-posted to uk.d-i-y at Martin's suggestion. I'm looking for a gardening or landscaping firm in London, to either put down some turf, or more probably paving stones to cover the garden. Suggestions...
8
8

Closing the ceiling/floor hole after removing an old staircase
I'll soon be taking-out an old "back staircase" and closing the ceiling. AFAIK the staircase was fitted as an afterthought (it's not shown on the 1930s architect's drawings) so I assume they cut the...
2
2

Fixing oak skirting to old walls
I'm about to fit some oak skirting in a room with lime plaster over solid concrete blocks. Down near floor level there are large gaps where the plaster and render has gone. I'll be screwing to the...
16
16

Repairing old Slide Projector
I have just had my old Hanimex 1500RF slide projector out to view some old 35mm slides and had to fix it. The top casing is held onto the base by about 6 screws that screw up into moulded pillars in...
12
12

painted up posi screws
If you stick a hot soldering iron into the posi slots for a few seconds it softens the paint and then you can shove the screwdriver in and get a better purchase. Bill
7
7

OT Constructing a Car Engine (1930-1939) | British Pa thé
I am pretty sure that some here will enjoy it. In this archive demo video from Morris Motors, we see the process of constructing an engine for a car and the different forms of power that allows it to...
5
5

Alternator regulator on mower, G G L C W terminals, meaning?
I am trying to work out how the wiring on a newly acquired (secondhand) mower works. I have what are supposed to be the wiring diagrams for it but none matches exactly. The current (ha, ha) conundrum...
27
27

Rotary hammer problem - tools no longer lock
I was using my fairly elderly low-end Ferm rotary hammer to do some heavy-duty chiseling and the tool fell out. When I tried to replace it, I discovered that the rubber sleeve would no longer pull...
16
16

Stopcock for upstairs flat located in property downstairs - legal?
Not exactly a DIY question, but kind of relevant to this group, so thought I would enquire here (excuse the lengthy description). My sister lives in a terraced property, comprised of upstairs and...
10
10

OT Time wasters - rant - selling motorbike security chain
Some time ago I took advice on about the possible value of a Squire padlock, chain and bag for securing a motorcycle. After due consideration I listed it on Gumtree for £25 (including another lighter...
45
45

Is there a law gainst this?
Amazon signed me up without my say so for 'Prime' and if I had not taken prompt action it would have cost me £75 a year.
58
58

Timber shaping
I am about to construct a pergola. SWMBO rather likes the look of shaped timbers as seen here on rose arch kits: The effect is as if a circular cutter has been used to take a quadrant slice from the...
44
44

All being well - I tracked down a SDM1901 actuator
I was on the scrounge earlier for a used/faulty Sunvic SDM1901 CH valve actuator, to keep as a standby for the one I installed a couple of weeks ago. I have now sourced one. The full explanation - My...

BIG mower
I want this. The Americans will probably already have one for their "yard". Home :: brielmaier.com
49
49

Safety - Lift
In my local Tesco the lift from the baselent carpark has a paper notice stuck inside saying "In an emergency phone 0121*********" I challenced a member of management about the fact that some people...