water pressure: hammer/reducing valve?

Hello,

I have some water hammer caused by the washing machine and dishwasher. Should I get some of those arrestors and fit one by each appliance?

I measured the water pressure and it is 4 bar. I'm sure I read here that it is useful to have a pressure reducing valve set to reduce incoming pressure to 3 bar. Is that right? Would that be a better idea?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Before reducing you pressure have a dig around you CW system for any ?dead legs? that might have become air filled. These can be a potent cause of mains water hammers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim+ laid this down on his screen :

Actually I would have expected the opposite - the bubble of air would help buffer the the sudden surge in pressure, when a valve shuts suddenly and the rushing water has nowhere to go.. Which is what causes the hammering noise.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Fit an isolator and half-turn it ? When I redid all our plumbing I fitted isolators as a matter of course anyway.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

+1

It might be worth fitting a hammer arrestor, like one of these

Another thing you might try is turning down your under-sink stopcock quite a bit to reduce the flow rate when the washing machine or dishwasher are drawing water, although paradoxically, in my previous property, I found that opening it up fully stopped the hammer.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Jethro's suggestion is probably better, because it limits the flow to the individual machines, not the whole house. But it may mean a modification to the plumbing.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Jethro_uk <jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmailbin.com wrote in news:q4e6ua$1o0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

They can be noisy though.

Sometimes hammer can be due the the filler hose being too elastic.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Also some pipes that have dips in their runs or where the clips have failed. Its amazing how much racket just a tiny vibration can cause. I often also think that recent improvements in water pressure generally has exposed bad joints and hence started to reveal leaks in the street etc. Round here at least. Water is a strange thing as it cannot really be compressed but any trapped air of course does! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm sure unsupported or insufficiently supported pipe work is the cause but it was fitted by a previous owner and is behind the kitchen units and under floorboards, so I cannot do anything about it until I have a major redecoration.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Yes, I've heard that throttling the isolator can cause the flow to be more noisy. I think the problem is that with washing machines and dishwashers, the valve is either open or closed, so it is quite harsh in it's operation; there's no gentle opening or closing of the valve, like you do with a tap.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen