OT: Reservoir overflows

Why do they make them like this, instead of just a simple overflow by the side of the dam? They look f****ng dangerous for fishing boats etc.

Commander Kinsey

On 16/02/2019 22:34:21, Commander Kinsey wrote:> Why do they make them like this, instead of just a simple overflow by > the side of the dam? They look f****ng dangerous for fishing boats etc. >

Precisely to stop fishing boats going on the reservoir. It seems to work, I can't see any.

Reply to
Fredxx

They generally don't.

The ones by the side of the dam or in the body of the dam wall arent much better for boats.

Reply to
2987fr

But they're on a lot of reservoirs, where canoes and fishermen go, and are allowed to go.

And I very much doubt they'd change the overflow design to scare people, while running the risk of getting done for manslaughter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Seems rather expensive to make compared to just having it spill over a wall at the edge of the dam. Why take the water under and through the reservoir?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nope, f*ck all in fact.

Reply to
2987fr

Are you sure. It seems to go straight to hell.

No electrical generators under there?

Reply to
micky

They work better and are cheaper. We don.t allow fishing on UK reservoirs. Or canoes.

Reply to
harry

More ignorance from our principal ignoramus:

This, from

"Our reservoirs are no exception, and we work with the South West Lakes Trust, a charity set up to manage facilities and land at our reservoirs, to make leisure and recreation activities available to all visitors.

Whether it's the thrill of blasting across Roadford Lake on a windsurf, or a peaceful walk at stunning Burrator Lake, the lakes offer something for everyone.

Many lakes and their surrounding land are ideal for coarse or trout angling, water sports, picnicking and relaxing. Angling and water sports facilities are available at Upper Tamar Lake which now hosts a number of clubs including fishing and model yachting."

And this, from

"One of the things we are most passionate about is providing access to the lakes for people of all abilities. We have a wide range of facilities from accessible paths and fishing platforms to sailability and wheelyboats for those who love to get out on the water."

Reply to
Chris Hogg

My local reservoir has both fishing and boats.

Reply to
alan_m

I am always surprised that they aren't required to have railings around that - what about someone who falls in the water and gets pulled towards that by the flow?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Republicans can read the warning signs and avoid the area. OTOH, the democrats will likely lose another voter.

Reply to
Roger Wilco

Republicans will ignore the signs because they were put up by EPA experts.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I would have thought they'd be the other side of the dam, or inside it, not under billions of tonnes of water. The above photo is just an overflow. The outlet pipe for generators or water supply would presumably be at the bottom, so they can get water when it's not full. But in the photos they've had to construct a great big funnel.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've never seen signs. Perhaps you're just told "don't go near the hole of death" when you rent a boat.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would either of those be true?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't think so - if you're swimming (or trying to), you're going to be almost horizontal on the surface, you'll just go straight over that fence then plummet to your death. The fence should be above the water level. Same applies to a boat without much depth to it, like a kayak. That fence looks absolutely pointless - it might perhaps catch the keel of a rowing boat, but that's all.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've never seen one which has a warning sign.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That image did make me think of why they might build them like that - a gap at the top or end of the dam would impede traffic getting across - eg. maintainance vehicles. And it also looks like the pipe is embedded in a thick part of the dam, and not a tall tunnel in the middle of nowhere.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I suppose unless you're really unobservant, you would see the hole long before you got near it, unless you're fishing and looking the other way, but then I guess the fence is enough to grab a fishing boat. Although I could see it jolting the boat, knocking the people out, and they fall in the hole.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey