Just how do they make a sink?.

A bit off topic, but I was staring at a stainless steel sink I am about to fix in, and it just crossed my mind just how do they make 'em?.

A press suppose, but how do they get that deep depression where the bowl goes without stretching the metal?. Or do they make them in smaller bits and weld them together?, surely they don't cast them at all, so how's it done?.

Google doesn't seem to know.....

Reply to
tony sayer

I once sold industrial lubricants and went to a company that made sinks. They press them (deep drawing) with a good lubricant on the die.

Things like gas cylinders are also drawn.

Some do split - hence the importance of a lubricant.

Reply to
John

Try this:

John

I asked Franke about this once and they said that they are generally made by deep draw presses where the metal "flows" in from the edges.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , John writes

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

I'm sure a stainless steel sink I put in recently had the bowl made as a separate part and joined to the top. It wasn't visible inside the sink, but there was clearly a seam visible on the underside. Might have been an IKEA sink -- I'll take a closer look next time I'm nearby it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Often different grades of S/S or Chroime Iron are used. Onemight be magentic and the other not. I suspect that the bowls are deep drawn and they have to select a (probably costly) alloy that will let them do that whilst the tops are cheaper but will only take a few grooves.

No doubt someone has worked out that the saving on material cost jutifies the effort of joining the the parts.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The Franke one I installed in our kitchen recently is definitely like that. The bowl is obviously made separately and joined to the drainer.

Reply to
Huge

Press and the metal does stretch a LOT.

Some bowls are tack welded to drainers afterwards as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was brilliant! Thanks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You mean when you're degreasing the engine block?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher