Subject Author Posted Replies

Cutting a cheap bath panel
My daughter wants to smarten up her bathroom prior to sale and her bath panel is cracked. It?s a funny length though (1670mm) and seems hard to find. One end of the panel tucks behind a vanity unit...
10
10

Backing up Android phone without USB lead
My Pixel3a phone wont charge, I think the USB socket is dusty or broken. I've moved the SIM to an old phone. But the problem is all the photos, notes and data on it which I havent backed up, how to...
13
13

Mixing 1.5mm and 1mm wire in lighting circuits?
Is it OK to use 1.5mm for most of a lighting circuit, including all the shared feeds, and 1mm 2 core and 3 core for some individual lamps and switches? [george]
2
2

Socket to 6 amp lighting circuit OK?
I have 1.5mm cable for a downstairs lighting circuit. Can I add a 3 pin socket to it above the door for use by christmas lights etc? [g]
42
42

Brazing stainless steel - what's easiest?
I need to mend a small piece of stainless steel, it's essentially a small length of tube (125mm dia or so) with a flange that needs to be re-affixed to a then plate. The original welds (not mine!)...
11
11

WHICH magazine Boiler ratings
Glanced through the latest edition in the Library. They have a new table of gas Boiler reliability ratings. 1. W-B 2. Vaillant 3. Viesseman . . . . . . . . 19. Ferroli 20. Biasi Even Ideal were up at...

OT: fake blood
Anyone know what the fake blood, as sprayed all over themselves and the road and perhaps passers-by by the climate klods, is made of?
51
51

Why do LEDs generate heat?
Why do LEDs generate heat? I want a technical answer not "because they're inefficient". And will we ever make them more efficient?
140
140

Changes to electric circuit characteristics
I have had 3 extra lights and a fan added to a single lighting circuit. The base circuit was installed completely new less than two years ago as part of a CU change and came with an Electrical...
6
6

Electric heating
What could you do to make an electric space heater less than 38% efficient?
19
19

confusing info on the net ....
Jim GM4DHJ ... expressed precisely : I fancy a cat S would need to pass an inspection, before it was allowed on the road. S = suffered severe structural damage.
2
2

Good Samaritan
Last night, I was walking home just before midnight - from the pub, of course! Having two worn out knees and being a bit short of breath these days I stop every few yards or so to get my breath back....
82
82

Kitchen Ring Main
I am getting to the point where I need to consider the route of the kitchen ring main with a view to getting the new kitchen in ASAP so we are without a functioning kitchen for the minimum time. I...
4
4

WiFi Booster/ Extender
Martin Brown expressed precisely : An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main router and usualy free.
15
15

Other electrical apprentices and my next door neighbour
No 1. It's not just me that has them. 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut through the flex. Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their life"...
22
22