Drain rodding

Been having drain trouble lately both at my own house and at my son's. The only things they have in common is (i) Victorian drains and (ii) quilted toilet paper in use. Coincidence?

Also, I have a set of drain rods but I don't have the little plunger disk attachment that you use to suck gunge out of a blocked U-bend. If I buy a separate disk is it guaranteed to fit my rods - IOW do they all have a standard attachment diameter & screw thread?

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Does the loo paper fall apart quickly in water? Put a couple of sheets in a 3/4 full jar of water give it a couple of shakes and the paper should have broken up a fair bit. If it hasn't...

Thinks so, take a rod to the shop?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Generally yes, they have the same coarse thread. Where are you using your rods? I wouldn?t advise using them in you toilet u-bend if that was what you meant. A plastic bag over a mop head makes a good safe toilet plunger.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+1 on both.

Personally, if I have a blocked loo pan I will start by emptying it with a wet and dry vac, that will usually get enough out of the U bend for a single flush to work. Or, if you know it is a foreign body, then explore after emptying with or without gloves, depending on how squeamish you are.

Are you sure it is "normal" quilted paper, or so-called "flushable wet wipes" as deplored by all the water companies.

Reply to
newshound

Well aimed and fairly rapid pour of a bucket full of water straight into the bottom of the pan has always worked for me. A sort of super flush. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's the external (underground) drain, not the toilet.

It's not wet wipes. But it's more substantial than normal bog-paper, as measured on the standard finger-through-the-paper scale.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Most quilt is not very substantial, I'd think this is a red herring, and its coincidence, myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Yes, and do it from a height. (I am tall but SWMBO stands on a chair)

Another trick, if that fails, is an old fashioned mop. Cover it in a stout plastic bad and cable tie that on.

Reply to
Bob Eager

not cut kitchen towels by any chance? The covid scare made them the only th ing available sometimes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr