Subject Author Posted Replies

Wireless intruder alarm recommendations please
I want to install an intruder alarm, but I don't want the hassle of having to run wires everywhere, so I'm thinking of a wireless alarm system. I live in a small two-bedroom bungalow. There are three...
15
15

Car window controls
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution but went the way of lots of good ideas. Anyone...
19
19

FM Transmitters...
One for Brian??? I was wondering back when men were men and Libby Purves worked on the other side of the mic, radio transmitters used valves. Are there now solid state devices (big MOSFETs??) capable...
29
29

UK TOLL charge??
Hi All, A couple of local organisations are arranging meetings via Teams / WebEx which off er the option for invitees to dial in by phone. One includes the text ?Tap to join from a mobile device...
31
31

talking of switches...
where can I get one of those light fittings you see in American movies with the thing you pull that dangles from it....merry-cans are weird what with table lamps having a swicth you turn ...
14
14

Help needed to find a switch
I need some momentary-action ("retractive" seems to be the word of the moment - pun intended) ceiling switches BUT *they need to be smaller than the standard light switch*. They will switch an...
16
16

Thunderbird advice
Following the demise of my address and the faff of Tbird asking for the related password and then getting cross because it is no longer recognised, I decided to delete the mail address from my system....
16
16

[Probably OT]-Button batteries
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes....
35
35

bbc
They just sent me a survey to the account I log on with. Its the usual rubbish, but I'm sure others will get it. One problem is half of the question text does not get read automatically by the...
2
2

Ideas sought for sealing gap in upvc double glazing lip
Now that I am working in the 'back bedroom' I am becoming more keenly awar of the draughts in there... There seem to be two main causes. One is a gap between the opening window and the frame (it's not...
13
13

Multimeter leads
I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes (red and black) with hard points on the ends. Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires. When looking at the...
13
13

Lets put mains on to the pins of a plug!
He's generating low voltage 3 phase AC from a water powered turbine, rectifying it to 24V DC and then using a inverter to generate 110V AC (this is the USA). This is then wired to a standard USA plug...
40
40

Heating System Design for New House Builds
Hi all Just a point of interest really.... Does anyone know whether heating system "design" is regulated for new builds in any way? Most contributors here I'm sure will know that, to run efficiently...
28
28

Question about TV aerials (Bill Wright?)
We're in a "variable reception" area for Ridge Hill mast, about 20 miles away. The Humax STB reports a very weak signal on most channels but the picture is OK for much of the time - the boss would...
91
91

Help with kitchen overhead cabinet hinges
Two of the hinge mounts have fractured in a 2-part lift up cabinet door at the place were the hinges are mounted on the lower frame. Does anyone know if I can buy replacement hinges and also how they...
7
7