Subject Author Posted Replies

Attic Firewalls legal or not?
Our building was split into separate properties decades ago. You can get from one to another in the attic. I think modern Regs would insist in firewalls to slow the spread of fire. Is this backdated...
6
6

OT: Coldest UK temperature for ten years....
... is barely mentioned (-17°C) Now if it had been the warmest...
53
53

OT - under floor ventilation
Notice what seemed to be a strange thing on our deck out the back. Snow was clearing from between the gaps in the decking, and melting over the screw heads even though it was sub-zero. What I think is...
1
1

Locked out!
For a number of reasons (at perhaps a reduction in security) I tend to have thumb screw locks on the inside of doors. Modern doors in particular though what's the crap where you can't unlock the...
16
16

2 pin mains electrical adapters.
Electric razors can have two pin plugs. I remember having adapters so that two of these plugs could be used together with one socket, but that was some time ago in a property that did not have 13amp...
14
14

Getting a small job done in Horwich
I normally do all my own DIY but I'm stuck in London and need a little job done up in Horwich on a property. Can't get there to do it because of the current lockdown. So I'm looking for...

Best plumbing for a toilet?
I'm planning on a few new toilets - what's the best kind of drainage set up so that its easy to clean if there's ever a blockage? Should the drainage pipes be directly underneath or to a side? Should...
9
9

Anyone DIY'er near Horwich Lancs?
I normally do all my own DIY but I'm stuck in London and need a little paid job done up in Horwich on a property. Can't get there to do it because of the current lockdown. If interested, please send a...

Coming to a smart meter near you...
"A series of ?modifications? to the Smart Energy Code have been proposed by officials and look set to pass into law by next spring. These include giving networks the right to decide when they consider...
51
51

Oops! Clumsy eating :-(
How does one get Turmeric stains from a tablecloth (After an excellent Indian Meal from the Taj Mahal here in Chippenham)?
9
9

Replacement windows going into tile-hung wall
Part of our house is studwork upstairs (prolly because the downstairs used to be a 1-storey garage so inadequate foundations for building upstairs of brick). Anyway it was finished as tile-hung. If...

Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'
Anyone convinced? Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries' Engineers explore using gentle slopes rather than steep dams or mountains to store electricity is bringing innovation to...
112
112

Paul Crutzen, Nobel Laureate Who Fought Climate Change, Dies at 87
Paul Crutzen, Nobel Laureate Who Fought Climate Change, Dies at 87 By John Schwartz, 2/4/21, New York Times a Dutch scientist who earned a Nobel Prize for work that warned the world about the threat...

OT Television Production
A couple of things intrugue me about TV production: 1. How are the backgrounds and floor effects done on shows like Dancing on Ice and Who wants to be a Millionaire. If projected, why don't the...
42
42

Dell pricing.
Been thinking about a new laptop. Old one was OK - but slow to get going now with things like Whatsapp. And not brilliant for Zoom meetings. On the reviews I read a Dell comes top of Windose machines,...
14
14