that royal punter

What is the big problem of him shagging a 17 year old I was shagging 16 year olds at 16 and I am sure it wasn't against the law...is the age of consent 18 in the states or something ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

...and anyway she would have been well paid for it....so what is she complaining about then ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Yes, though in your case no-one else was involved.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yes I believe the age of consent *is* 18 rather than 16 in some US states, and I think it is often unofficially taken as a blanket 18 limit across the whole US to err on the side of caution.

What would the situation have been if someone was age 16 and it was illegal in his/her home state, but the intercourse took place in a state or a country (eg UK) where the age of consent is 16 rather than 18? Is the law that determines the legality the one that applies where the act occurred?

Reply to
NY

That would be "transporting a minor over state lines" and earn you a decade (or two) in a penitentiary.

Reply to
Max Demian

But isn't the allagation rape?

Reply to
fred

Yes.

Didn't some rock and roll guitarist get into trouble when he took a teenage bride across a state line and got done for statutory rape?

Jerry Lee Lewis?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

on 14/01/2022, NY supposed :

There was the music star from the US, who brought his 14 year old bride to the UK.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Jim GM4DHJ ... brought next idea :

She just found an angle to help her make her fame and fortune, nothing more..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

In the USA it is, as here, 'statutory rape' to sleep with an underage person even if its with full consent.

The problem is that age of consent is not fixed federally - its by state.

"The US: Set on a state-by-state basis, the age of consent ranges from

16 to 18. In some states, a close-in-age exemption, commonly known as ?Romeo and Juliet laws?, exists to decriminalise consensual sex between two individuals who are both under the age of consent"

So If the tart was in fact consenting, it would only be a crime in certain states.

Of course her claim that it wasn't consenting its virtually unprovable after all these years. It almost certainly a shake down, but unfortunately Andrew has behave so shiftily that he has destroyed his own case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From Wiki, Alan Clark MP

In 1958, Clark, aged 30, married 16-year-old (Caroline) Jane, daughter of Colonel Leslie Brindley Bream Beuttler OBE of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment and a descendant on her mother's side of the Scottish ornithologist William Robert Ogilvie-Grant, grandson of the 6th Earl of Seafield.[

Reply to
Andrew

gerry lee lewis took his 14 year old bride to england

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

In at least some of them... yes. California and Florida are examples.

But in New York state, it's 17 anyway.

And in Hawaii, 16.

See:

JNugent

Isn't there some exemption (maybe a general international agreement) to under-age and bigamy laws (Mormons) which says that if a couple are legally

*married* in their home jurisdiction, they are deemed to be legal in countries which which have a higher age of consent or have bigamy laws. With the emphasis on them being married, and not a casual or living-together-but-not-married relationship. And as regards bigamy, it is probably only legal within the faith and within a family unit, so a multi-bride Mormon (or other faith that allowed bigamy) couldn't marry several non-Mormons and maintain them in separate households ("a girl in every port").

I'm sure I read that it is legal for a couple of 16-year-olds who are legally married in the UK to sleep together when they go on holiday to the US into states where the legal age is 18 (do any states still have 21?).

I believe that many jurisdictions look more favourably on a couple of similar age who break under-age rules than they do if one of them (especially the man - how sexist) is in their 20s, 30s or older.

My general feeling is that relationships between people who are above puberty (but below the age of consent) are illegal but not immoral, whereas relationships where one is below puberty are immoral as well and decidedly yucky.

Reply to
NY

I think 16 may actually be more prevalent than 18, and some states have an AOC of 17.

But I can't be bothered to do the counting:

Yes. What is illegal in Florida (AOC: 18) is an offence if committed in Florida, but necessarily an offence if committed / indulged in elsewhere. And that's surely what you'd expect.

Reply to
JNugent

No.

AIUI, it's "sexual assault".

Reply to
JNugent

or was she 12?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

He put his hand in her knickers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. Lewis, who is still with us, committed *no* such offences. He got some hassle from the British press because his wife (present with him in the UK on tour) was aged 13 (IIRC). Perfectly legal in the state where they lived (and legal in the UK because they were legally married).

You are thinking of that great artiste Chuck Berry, who was imprisoned under the 1910 "Mann Act", a piece of USA federal legislation.

See:

QUOTE: In Berry?s case, the Mann Act charges stemmed from what Berry contended was his offer of legitimate employment in his St. Louis nightclub to a girl he had met in a bar in Juarez, Mexico. Three weeks after being fired from Berry?s nightclub, 14-year-old Janice Norine Escalanti took a different story to the St. Louis police, and Berry was arrested two days later, on this day in 1959.

Berry?s defense was not found credible by the all-male, all-white jury at his first trial, and he was convicted on March 11, 1960, and sentenced to five years? imprisonment and a $5,000 fine. Although he would have his conviction vacated and a new trial ordered by a Federal Appeals Court in October 1960 due to disparaging racial comments made by the judge in his original trial, Berry would be convicted again on retrial in March 1961 and serve the better part of the next two years in prison. ENDQUOTE

Berry was later given the Congressional Medal of Honor for his services to the development of toilet cubicle camera technology:

QUOTE: In 1959 Berry was arrested for taking a 14-year-old girl ... across state lines for ?immoral purposes?, a crime for which he eventually served two years in prison. But that was almost 60 years ago, some might say: different time, different morals! Well, kinda. That he was then accused of installing a video camera in the ladies? toilet of his Missouri restaurant is less easy to jazz hands away, given that it happened in the not wildly distant year of 1989. After tapes from this camera were found in Berry?s home, he was given a suspended sentence and settled a class action with 59 women. ENDQUOTE

It's funny that Jerry Lee Lewis springs to anyone's mind in connection with any of this stuff. He did nothing wrong and or illegal it was never even suggested that he had.

Reply to
JNugent

Did you miss out a "not"? Perhaps "not necessarily".

Reply to
NY