Google failure ? WTF is "inherent" drying (dishwasher)

Having discovered I "need" to replace the whole ****ing inner door panel on my 10 year old dishwasher, it seems time for a new one.

Stumbled across "inherent heat" as a drying method for some designs. Only this looks like a bit of marketing bollocks, as googling it doesn't really educate me.

Is it a synonym for "residual" heat ? And if so to be expected on a sub £250 machine ?

Funny how we often said we were managing quite happily without a dishwasher 11 years ago ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes, some dishwashers keep the heating element on and the door closed after the washing has finished to keep the crockery hot to aid evaporation. Others rely on the washing process getting the crockery hot and then opening the door to aid evaporation with no additional heating. I imagine inherent/residual heat is the second method.

Reply to
NY

So there's a mechanism to crack the door open after the cycle ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Ours (Bosch) circulates cold water round a matrix attached to one side wall. This condenses some of the water vapour, which aids drying. I thought this is very common?

There's no point keeping the heating element on (if that's ever done) without somewhere for the evaporated water to go.

Reply to
GB

I replace the chose of manual washing up with the chore of scarping the plates, rinsing the worst, stacking te dishwasher, keeping it fed with salt and rinse id, ...

I still have to pre scour dishes. Its hardly any time saving at all,

So not something I cant live without.

Having got rid of te Ex though, the new machine seems to have survived without a steady diet of chicken bones. Just one olive pit got into the pump, but I managed top get it out from the drain

Its marginally worth having. If you look after it and regard it as little more than a rinse and dry machine.

At £250 I wouldn't bother though. They are all badly made.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And another mechanism to replace the worktop, which gets damaged by the water vapour? or can this type only be used with non-wooden worktops?

Reply to
GB

I think it depends on how many people are in the house. At home, we currently have two 'children' staying. One came to keep us company at the start of the pandemic .... Anyway, with four in the house, it's well worth having the dishwasher.

Reply to
GB

Well ours was £299 10 years ago, and been pretty decent. (Living in a soft water area appears to help with all our appliances).

I don't really mind washing up. It's just it takes up so much space.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Exactly. The dishwasher is good not at washing, but at drying stuff in a nice place that leaves worktops clear

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I want *2*. I feel it's a waste of time taking stuff out of the d/w and putting it away when much (often most) goes back in before it's run again. It'd be more efficient to treat each in turn as a wash, dry, & temporary store. Plus these days labels to remind me which is currently which :(

Reply to
Robin

You need a drying-up cupboard. Popular in Finland.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Adds that to "today I learned" :)

Hang on - it's a bit furrin innit ? What's wrong with grass and sticks ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think many just fill the bottom of the machine with cold water and pump it out at the end of the drying time.

Reply to
Steve Walker

There is on mine.

Reply to
nightjar

Soft water here, so we don't even put salt in. Neither do we use rinse aid, but we do use some of the better tablets that don't need it.

No scraping here either, just running any plate with food still on it under the tap and into the waste-disposal.

I absolutely hate washing up by hand - to the extent that when I bought the house, I bought a second-hand dishwasher a week before actually owning the house! I never minded drying though.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Pretty certain a FOF knew someone who did have 2 - both fully working. They'd take the clean dishes out of one. Use them. Put them in the other. Run it. Then repeat from that side back to the first.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Ours still uses salt - not sure if it needs it or not.

The rinse aid/tablet locker failed a few years back. Since then we just chuck a tablet into the cutlery basket. Seems OK. Glassware looks OK too.

Since having to wash up by hand I've broken 2 glasses :(

As I said, I don't mind too much when there's space.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We use it now occasionally, try to limit it to when it is a large load, or sometimes just to get things really clean - hotter and more aggressive in the washer.

It now around 8 years old, never had that much use, as it is in the utility, usually easier to do them in the kitchen sink, but no complaints about the job it does, even if some of the worst needs some extra manual attention when they come out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Sir needs a better machine, or to burn fewer pots :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Steve Walker submitted this idea :

We never dry, just leave them in the thingummy to drain and dry in their own time. It's more hygienic, that wiping them with a rag anyway, or your shirt flap :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq