Dishwasher question

My dishwasher spits water out of the vent stack that is on the top of my sink. Obviously, there's a clog in one of the lines. Where would I look first?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Everything downstream of that air gap. The hose from the DW to the air gap would appear to be ok. Follow the other connection from the air gap to the drain. If it ties in to the sink drain and the sink drains ok then you know the clog is in the short section between the air gap and the drain.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I go and pull the pipe that comes down from the vent and goes to the Insinkerator 1/2hp NEW Badger disposal. Water hose is full indicating a clog at the disposal. I stick my pinkie in the hole, and it's solid. As in hit the bottom of the hole hard plastic solid.

I take the disposal completely out. In the bottom of the casting that goes into the disposal, it's solid plastic like it was made like that, or wasn't drilled out.

Nowhere for the water coming from the dishwasher to go but out the top of the vent, and all over and then into the sink.

Was I drunk the day I installed this? Isn't that channel supposed to be open from the factory? Or are you supposed to drill it out? I don't know, I tossed the instructions. Seems to me it would come from the factory ready to go.

Anyway, I drilled a 1/2" hole through the casting, and now it works like a champ.

Was it me, or did it come defective from the factory. I've changed other disposals, and never seen this before.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes, they come that way from the factory. Not all disposals are connected to a DW, so its naturally plugged. The instructions will tell you that if you are connecting a DW, to break the plug out for DW drain.

DAMHIKT. IOW Welcome to the club.

Reply to
Grandpa

Read the instructions that came with the disposal, remove plastic plug, reinstall the hose from the air gap.

Reply to
Mike

This is the third disposal I have installed. There was no "plug". I put a dowel into the hold from the outside and hit it until I started hitting it hard enough to where I thought it was break time. So, there was no plug. The casting was just that way. I would not assume that they would want DIYers drilling a 1/2" hole (coulda probably gone 5/8") in that critical area. And if there was a "plug", that it would have been on the exterior, or at least where it could have been driven out easily with a dowel.

And what would be the purpose of a "plug"? I would take a guess that you might want to run the drain line into a regular section of drain pipe, but then that would take a special section of pipe. If there was a cap, wouldn't it go on the outside so that you could easily put it on if you wanted to run the line somewhere else?

I guess I'll just have to go out to the Borg and look at the directions.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't know what brand yo have, but this is typical. Yes, thee is a plug. The purpose of hte plug is for when you do not have a DW draining into it.

using a dishwasher, you will need to tap out the dishwasher knockout plug. Lay the disposer on its side and use a screwdriver and hammer to tap it out. Next, remove the loose knockout plug from inside the disposer. Continue to Step 6.

begin 666 inv.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski