Corned Beef

and it took this long to find out there is no corn in corned beef, and yet you think you know the answers to all our ills.

Reply to
critcher

strange isn't it ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

The background to it (if you don't already know), Corned beef It's actually pretty simple ? corned beef was named after the dry curing process used to preserve the meat. This involves covering beef with 'corns' which are large pieces of salt. This sucks out the moisture and preserves the meat by inhibiting bacteria growth.

Traditional corned beef is a very tasty meat, nothing like the slices/cans of what you get in supermarkets.

Reply to
rick

Princes is the worst ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ... laid this down on his screen :

Princes in my opinion, is the worst tinned food generally. It used to be reputed to be the very best, but now best avoided.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

disgusting

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Drifting OT, but I haven't seen John West smoked mackerel for a while. Loads of other stuff, but conspicuous by it's absence from any supermarket.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Correct.

Ask for a corned beef sandwich in New York - and you will not get something that even looks as though it came out of a tin.

Reply to
JNugent

They do the best sild.

Other brands just don't taste "right".

Reply to
JNugent

I made an enquiry with John West some years ago, when I was puzzled by the absence of their sild from supermarket shelves.

It seems that supplies (in sufficient quantities) of some things mean that they can only produce batches from time to time. That applied to their sild, and may apply to mackerel.

Reply to
JNugent

young herring...disgusting

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I blame brexit

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

That's not how you spell "delicious".

Sild... much nicer than sardines.

Reply to
JNugent

Interesting, thanks. It has a whiff of truth.

I also contacted them, but just got a "we're sorry" reply.

Sainsburys and Morrisons do a sweetcure smoked mackerel which is not bad. But as a rule I detest being curated into a "choice".

You can get some fancy packaged smoked brisling in olive oil which are nice.

I love fish - don't think there's one I don't like. Once again SWMBO conservative tastes mean it's a challenge experimenting.

Considering Britain is an island, it's quite a surprise how little fish features in everyday diets.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

sardines are nice

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

They are.

And sild are nicer.

Reply to
JNugent

A Spanish couple of my acquaintance (Seville) told me that I was the only visiting British friend who ever ate the fish varieties of tapas on our late night bar crawls.

A nearby British retired mutual friend (ex-Oxford Uni) said he thought that a lot of Brits don't like fish because of the smell.

Reply to
JNugent

What we get in the supermarkets is, near enough, the quality of corned beef HMG decided to import during the war, mostly for feeding troops. The lower quality corned beef could be produced in greater quantities and that was more important at the time than quality.

Reply to
nightjar

See:

JNugent