Corned Beef

No. The tinned stuff tends to be made as I described. The corned name, as others posted, comes from corns ( lumps) of salt.

I probably prefer it to mustard. I?ve never tried it in casseroles. I agree on the gherkin.

Reply to
Brian

They were obese long before any white men showed up.

But that wasn?t from eating spam in tins.

Reply to
5tft

I'm not disagreeing, merely pointing out what the name suggested to me as corning is the process of turning things into small particles.

I find English mustard too strong and prefer French or German mustard, although I only use it on ham or frankfurters. However, English mustard is a good flavouring for casseroles.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

is it ? ...wouldn't know

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

no shit Sherlock

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The Queen of Tonga had a tasty morcel sitting opposite her in the carriage she rode in at the coronation of our dear Queen in 1953 (according to Noel Coward).

Reply to
Max Demian

but he was a poofter?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Needs to be cooked carefully though according to Hugh Fearnley-wots-his-name when he served up horse burgers to some punters at a race meeting.

Reply to
Andrew

Anyone remember the computer game that appeared during the Falklands war, when players had to sink the 'Fray Bentos' ?

Reply to
Andrew

Has it come out of a tin?

Even the local supermarkets here sell corned beef on their delicatessen counters - and it has obviously come out of a tin befire being sliced.

Reply to
JNugent

Machine=sliced corned beef is generally available on supermarket delicatessen counters in the UK. The more upmarket the retailer, the wider the delicatessen choices (usually).

Reply to
JNugent

Very true. All sorts of health regulations here (and, I expect, there) forbid cooked and uncooked meats in close proximity. Delicatessen counters don't feature uncooked meat.

That's over at the butchers' area.

Reply to
JNugent