Corned Beef

That looks more like salt beef.

Reply to
nightjar

I have an idea that "corned beef" (USA-style) and "salt beef" (Whitechapel High Street style) are more or less the same thing.

What I can say is that a corned beef sandwich in the USA is NOTHING like a British corned beef sandwich.

Reply to
JNugent

The corned part refers to the salting process, in particular the bits of salt - as others have said.

Tinned corned beef - at least the small tins you buy in supermarkets etc- is made from reconstituted bits. They pack it into the tins, heat it, and it bonds together. The jelly you see is mainly collagen, released during the heating process. The white bits are fat.

The corned beef in delis tends not to be reconstituted - it is the salted brisket.

I worked in a shop as a Saturday boy in my teens, they had ( what we would now call) a deli counter. They sold corned beef which came in huge tins. I don?t think it was reconstituted but had more jelly around the ?joint? of meat, which the assistants trimmed off.

Spam is reconstituted in a similar way - by being cooked under pressure in the tin. An odd fact, in some countries, Spam is considered a delegacy. Giving Spam as a gift is a sign of respect. ( Seriously)

Real salt beef is very good, especially with a trace of fresh horse radish.

Reply to
Brian

Not a country, but a state. Hawaii, I believe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, Hawai'i, but also Samoa.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Excellent. Thank you.

Reply to
JNugent

Tinned Corned goat is very popular in the South Pacific. New Zealand has a ready market on its doorstep to get rid of all the low quality meat that could not be sold in NZ or Oz. This is why obesity is serious problem in many pacific countries. Remember how big the King of Tonga got.

Reply to
Andrew

mmmm horse is tasty

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

South Korea was the one I had in mind.

I assume it is places where there was once a major US military presence.

Personally, I remember it from school dinners- Spam Fritters, either in batter or just fried. Not exactly gourmet food or even healthy. ;-)

We certainly had it when camping in the Scouts etc.

Reply to
Brian

mmmm camping bona

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Many happy camping trips Jim.

Reply to
Brian

I remember it from a couple of weeks ago! Spam fritters...yum.

Reply to
Bob Eager

me too...too old now to put on a wooly jersey on my legs in the middle of the night...and stagger over to the bogs...was fun though

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

absolutely true.

Reply to
critcher

and big fish.

Reply to
critcher

My school sometimes cooked them in batter - just in case they weren?t greasy enough.

I think they were served with chips and peas.

Reply to
Brian

I used to buy Prince's orange juice in 12x1litre packs from Costco. THen moved over to the Aldi equivalent, which I preferred as it seemed less sweet.

Aldi had a temporary supply problem so we went back to Costco for a 12 pack. It has been a relief to finish it; the Aldi one is so much better.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The batter is essential!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I know

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

On 14/01/2022 08:59, Brian wrote: ...

I had always assumed that corned beef referred to the beef itself being corned, turned into small pellets, so that it could be packed into the tins.

Not keen on horse radish sauce, except as a flavour in some casseroles. I like salt beef in a sandwich with a bit of sliced gherkin though

Reply to
Colin Bignell