Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: pre-buying gas by inflating meter readings?
I'm on a variable tarriff and have an old dumb gas meter. Given that gas prices look likely to rise when the cap is finally removed or revised upwards, would it be sensible to accidentally submit a...
17
17

tap to ceramic sink sealing
I have had a problem with an upstairs bathroom. It seems a basin tap has been dripping. The drip has run not into the sink but down the stem to the base of the tap and a broken back nut has allowed...
4
4

[COP26] the very height of hypocrisy....
Bill Gates sails into Glasgow on a $2m-a-week rented superyacht. Jeff Bezos flies in on his $60m private jet. All to tell *you* that *you* have to give up *your* lifestyle 'to save the planet'....
86
86

Land Registry log in for 'alerts'
The log-in says I will get an email that will start my account. No email has come after two days. When I emailed to ask why an automated email email came saying that they are taking five days to...
24
24

OT: Sound and Vision Auction
Lots of singles, Vinyl playing equipment, etc. https://www.twgaze.co.uk/auctions/catalogues-and-auctions/current-catalogues/sound-and-vision/SearchForm?Query= Sound & Vision | TW Gaze

OT Yahoo Mail ... GRRRRRR ! ! ! !
Yahoo Mail has started blasting unwanted adverts on the screen. Why isn't Ghostery muting them? Time to stop using Yahoo Mail?
4
4

Getting a duplicate SIM card
Hi all, As part of my "de-Googlifying my life" strategy, I would lke to have an identical SIM card made to the one I normally use in my Samsung smart phone. I will then stick the duplicate into a...
16
16

1975 Goblin Teasmade Kettle Spout Gasket
Just picked this relic up at car boot, tested the element before parting with my fiver. With such simple engineering it all works OK. The only issue is the outlet spout leaks when boiling. For those...
15
15

Buying gas permeable contact lenes online.
I got my current gas permeable contact lenses from Specsavers. Good value (for the UK) at £100 a pair then. Oddly, they charge the same for a replacement pair as they do for fitting and supplying....
7
7

Using One Coat Plaster
I have a few chases to fill along with a few holes where back boxes have been removed so I am going to try a one coat plaster. The chases will require appprox. 16mm of thickness the other holes a...
6
6

OT Local FB groups
Some of the posts make my apprentices look smart. 1. A picture of a lost and found driving licence asking if anyone knows where the owner lives. 2. A post from a VM user asking about is anyone else is...
7
7

Gas supply.
Mate has an 1980s terraced 2 bed small house. Still on the original non room sealed boiler. Stored HW. Originally all cooking by gas - now just a gas hob. Intends having the boiler changed to a combi....
9
9

OT VPN
In the Lidl frustration thread, mention was made of using a VPN. AVG have been badgering me for years to use their offering! Can someone kindly explain the benefits/downsides of joining the club? I...
17
17

OT: Courier rant
Short version: anyone know how to make contact with a human at Hermes? I had a parcel delivered the other day. Not something I had ordered, and not even addressed to me (but to property with a similar...
29
29

Do Green technologies pass the CLUB test?
Complete Load of Utter Bollocks. Apart from LED lightbulbs, can anyone think of any green technology that isn't worse than what it purports to replace??...
12
12