OT - old stamps for new?

Down in Drury Lane there are naughty women, They will give you what you want if you give ?em a shilling. Soldiers, half-a-crown, Sailors half-a-Guinea, Big fat men, two-pound-ten, little kids, a penny.

Reply to
Graham.

We followed the instructions and returned a load of old (some very old) stamps to be replaced by new.

Some had face values in pence.

We received a single First Class stamp and a note that the stamps had no value.

Which is not really logical.

Anyway, has anyone else succeeded in swapping old stamps for new?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

yes, the 1st/2nd/1st-large were all replaced stamp-for-stamp, then I got a bundle of new 20p and 1p stamps adding up to the amount of 19p and 1p I'd sent them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you mean that their values were pre-decimal, then they haven't been valid for years.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Pre-decimal would be pennies, not pence.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

No. Either - Pre war tuppeny was an adjective, tuppence was a noun

No one ever said 'three and 6 pennies' It was three-and-sixpence. But then 3d was a 'thruppenny bit' showing that penny was used as an adjective

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To rephrase that, if the face value was shown in pence (p), it was post-decimal. Pre-decimal value would have been shown in pennies (d).

Reply to
Colin Bignell

post them

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The deadline for swapping them has gone back to July 2023 anyway

Reply to
Andrew

Pence is the plural of penny - both pre- and post- decimalisation. I have a collection of pre-decimalisation coins. It includes a Threepence and a sixpence.

Reply to
charles

Before 196x tuppence was 2d.

Reply to
Chris Green

Before, it was penny, pennies, pence.

After, it was new penny etc. A new penny was worth 2.4 old pennies. Eventually, the "new" was dropped.

So now, it it also penny, pennies, pence.

Reply to
Tim Streater

1971 surely?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, but some of the new coins were already in circulation in 1970. I remember that because in 1970 I left the UK, and was away for 25 years.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yes. 1966 in Australia, St Valentine's Day, I believe.

Reply to
Joe

Whatever! :-) I'm getting too old to remember exact dates.

Reply to
Chris Green

Do you have a scan or photo of the other stamps submitted?

Has it? I didn't see any announcement about that. I was planning to trade in any that are not used up sending Xmas cards and presents.

I don't trust sending things through the post clearly labelled "Steal me

- cash inside" and due to Brexit and Covid I still have quite lot of high value airmail to Europe stamps surplus to requirements.

Reply to
Martin Brown

February 15th, 1971.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It may be just me, but if I bought a 6d stamp, it was a six penny stamp, not a sixpence stamp. If I bought a 4p stamp, it was a four pence stamp, not a four penny stamp.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Fourpny stamp, also thrupny bit.

Reply to