OT - old stamps for new?

I leave my wealth to the children of my youngest sister does not use an apostrophe and is unambiguous.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Oh FFS

Neither does f*ck off use an apostrophe, and that's fairly unambiguous

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely a lawyer would specify the sister by name, not just 'youngest'.

Reply to
S Viemeister

..if a lawyer was involved. I was merely making the point that sloppy punctuation and grammar causes problems

Some NG - not this one - once featured a post from what I took to be a young American, than had no paragraphs, no capitals, no punctuation and was so misspelt that no one could understand the thing at all.

The only respondent remarked that it might be easier to answer the question if it had been written in grammatically correct and punctuated English. The response was a tirade about the poster being intelligent - his techas has sed so - and anyone who couldn't understand him was a dick

Standards are important. Because without them anyone can claim a completely different meaning to a set of words.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cymraeg aussi.

Reply to
gareth evans

He would want the names and current addresses of all the beneficiaries. It makes probate much easier.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I have never seen the point of gendered words for inanimate stuff and wonder why it was ever seen to be useful.

The we do see a little bit of that in english, particularly with say ships being female, presumably because they are such fickle and silly things and keep crashing into other ships etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Quite. Whilst it is good to encourage all to develop their own particular talents, if they cannot effectively communicate their brilliance, the problem is theirs, not ours.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Doesn't have to be crowded airspace to kill you that way.

We announce our presence, location and altitude when flying without a flight plan and not under traffic control.

But there is still no need for it to be grammatically correct, most obvioiusly with the common grammatic less/fewer error.

Reply to
chop

My solicitor wanted their full names, including any middle names and dates of birth.

Reply to
Andrew

Very easily if you have more than two sisters.

Would certainly avoid using the first sentence unless an incompetent fool.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yep.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not true of the common grammatical error with less/fewer.

Reply to
chop

Where are you getting that from ?

Plenty do.

Or for cops, first responders etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

a great many years might pass between the time when the will was written and when it is used. Tracing legatees could be difficult.

Reply to
charles

My late partner kept an up-to date list of addresses with her copy of the will. Although, as they are all family known to me, it wouldn't have been difficult to trace them without.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Having done zero languages at primary school, I enjoyed latin for the 1st year of grammar school and did well at it, then got bored of it in the 2nd year, and in the 3rd year I dropped latin for a subject called "non-latin biology" ... which basically meant you did extra biology theory instead of latin.

The headmaster was the teacher for this, it was the only teaching he did, there were only 3-4 of us in the class, so we got some damned good attention.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had to start Latin in 2nd year of grammar school - and drop woodwork to free up time for it. I blame that for my incompetence with saws, planes other tree-related stuff. Non est mea cupla!

Reply to
Robin

culpa I guess you failed Latin? :)

Reply to
Bev

Indeed.

No. But everything from head to fingers worked better then :(

Reply to
Robin