New sill plate, old tie rod?

Repairing a shed. The old sill plate had a hole bored through, and a tie rod inserted, with an outer plate to hold it in place. The sill plate rotted away, need to put in a new one, but what would be best?

  • cut groove in sill plate to accept tie rod (seems like it would weaken frame)
  • split sill plate here (seems even weaker)
  • cut plate off tie rod, bore sill plate, somehow weld/etc. new plate or some kind of cotter-pin assembly (least weakening of frame, best repair of tie rod)
  • forget tie rod, cut it off inside the wall
  • run new tie rod to other wall (would have to excavate)

When this wall is fixed, next year maybe, I may have to do some jacking of the walls to straighten the corners, so I don't want to leave the structure weaker than it should be.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Last tie rod I worked on was on the front end of my Ford truck.

anchor bolts on the other hand are needed to attach the structure to the foundation.

Reply to
SQLit

If you don't know the answer, you don't have to make a comment. The tie rod is very certainly an architectural component.

I am speaking of a tie rod which runs from one foundation beam to another, common in 19th century construction.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

where is the home? CA?

Stud ends ok?

w/o seeing the installation it's hard to give a perfect answer

I'd probably jsut notch/slot the "backside" of the sill & slide it into place.

If I'm guessing correctly the "tie rod" is part of the hold down system.

Drill the sill within a foot of the notch (both ways) & install an epoxy anchored anchor bolt to strengthne the notched sill Use Sika Sika-dur epoxy

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207