OT - old stamps for new?

Well whenever people needed to communicate accurately Colin.

You see in the days before trains, everybody set their clocks by the sun, but trains needed a universal time. And once people started travelling in them a standard form of English - even if learnt apart from the local dialect - became necessary to ensure communicability.

And so amongst educated people a standard grammar and to some extent a standard pronunciation occurred.

Everybody who was educated could read and write standard English and talk to each other.

In the last ten years I have three times had to give up on a support call simply because I *could not understand* the person on the other end. One was the thickest Subcontinental accent I have ever heard although I think it was grammatically correct, another sounded like a slurred mumble of Pidgin English/Estuarine elision. But give me a Welsh person or a Glaswegian or a Brummy or a Geordie, and I am perfectly happy as long as they have been taught standard English, the accent doesn't matter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We have that problem - generally put the 'city' as 'VILLAGE Bigtown' so it doesn't get trimmed as 'Address Line 2' often gets omitted when labels are printed. It must be pretty common given the frequency of Station Roads, High Streets etc.

RM are fine, but it's often couriers who are the problem: they must just be typing 'Road name' into their satnav and picking the first one. Worst was a passport 'Secure Delivery' who seem to be as or more incompetent than any other courier.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Indeed. So bad that when I renewed my passport, I specifically asked it to be sent by normal post

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, fair point.

Neither of them have shaken off the old GPO mindset. The Post Office is a particularly evil vile organisation, c.f. Horizon scandal

Reply to
Mark Carver

I don't recall being given the choice ?   (Did mine last June, Mrs C's this May)

The only choice was to have the old passport return by recorded delivery ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

They did originally announce in March 22 that the old stamps would expire at the end of Jan 23. (and have now extended it to July 23)

Reply to
Chris B

Oddly enough the postmen and postwomen I see here are a sterling lot, like the open reach engineers. They work hard and understand the game is to get parcels or electrons or photons to you.

Its the management and the unionised back orificers who are utterly loathsome.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shirley thinks the use of pee followed from the abbreviation used on labels, shelves, adverts, bills etc etc changing from "d" to "p".

Reply to
Robin

Oh indeed. Our postie is brilliant, oodles of common sense etc.

yep !

Reply to
Mark Carver

Spending a penny no longer gets you access to public toilets, and coppers aren't copper any more.

The country is going to the dogs, I tell you!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Oh yes, of course. But they could have said 'pence' but they didn't.

I have never heard anyone say 'five pence piece' or even fivepenny piece. Its a five pee piece.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

The union folks are fighting against management trying to compete with the Yodel/Hermes/Amazon gig economy model of slinging it over the hedge and running away because they're paid piecework, have 17 million deliveries to do per hour and a rusty van they have to pay out of their own pocket to run.

The RM service is pretty good IMX (especially the new collection service) and I'd rather pay more rather than have yet another cheap and unreliable courier service.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Well not only that, but you could most likely reach into your pocket and pull out a coin dating at least back to Edward VII, and possibly Victoria. That gave a sense of hostory and continuity. We may start to get that back now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You need debit or credit cards to get into some public loos.

Reply to
alan_m

And they made the 10 bob note their dollar.

Reply to
alan_m

Shop around my way are starting to put signs up saying no £20 and £50 notes. That probably means too many forgeries of the new plastic notes.

Reply to
alan_m

+1 With RM there is no longer such a thing as first class delivery. My recent 24 hour delivery took 3 working days (not strike days nor a weekend)
Reply to
alan_m

On 24/11/2022 12:08, The Natural Philosopher wrote: ...

The first attempt was in 1849, with the introduction of the florin.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

A lot of popular usage is about communicating with your own peer group, often with the intent of confusing people not in it. Anything from Cockney rhyming slang, through Leet, to the buzzwords of today, whatever they may be.

Reply to
Colin Bignell
<snip>

Their mostly free 'Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm' is good. Mostly free in that it mostly isn't next day (from here, Cornwall) and you can claim a refund.

Reply to
Clive Arthur