New deck is lower than old stairs

Per the contractor request we had 5/4 decking boards delivered. When contractor was tearing old up, he realized it was replacing 2x6 The deck is finished but where it hits our old stairs it is 1/2 inch lower than the stairs. Incredible tripping hazard. How to fix? Stairs are 2x6

Reply to
Mimilah

I wonder what the " contractor " suggested ? .. you'd think they'd know .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Take the top tread that is too high and have it planed to be even.

May be possible to take a half inch off the bottom of the stringer to lower the whole setup.

Photo would help

Reply to
Ed P

You would think…

Reply to
Mimilah

Hmmm .. it seems like he doesn't want to touch your stairs ? Any reason for that ?

Raising that small portion of the deck boards would seem to 1. compromise the deck screws over time 2. introduce a " warp " in the deck - another tripping hazard < and ugly >

  1. leave one critical part of the deck - the stair top - an ugly problem - for someone - at some point.

But adjusting the top few steps ?

- to account for the rise problem -

- leaves a nice deck surface and only suffers the ~ slight rise discrepancy ? which spread over 3 or 4 steps is no big deal. John T.

Reply to
hubops

why not replace the stair tread with the same lumber as the new deck boards ?

Reply to
retired1